Mac vs PC, need info for presentation.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by smalss, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smalss

smalss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to do a presentation on macs vs pc's and i am looking for some info on both. I know some general stuff, and i was wondering if anyone knew of a good site that compares the two, or if anyone can give me a little information on both. thanks guys.

2. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, Apple's own site has a "Switch 101: PC to Mac" that compares it a bit, but it is VERY BIASED to Mac.

You can look at CNET.com or PCMagazine.com for some more on that. They usually have some articles on Mac vs. PC.

3. Gator

Gator Go Gators!

Reputations:
    Why do people like Macs so much? Is it because of the Mac commercials where the "hip" 20 yr old makes fun of the nerdy typical mid-30's myopic office worker? Personally, I find that Macs crash as much as PC's (I've worked with a PowerMac Pro running OSX at work so I know first hand), the one button mouse is heinous, and the optical drives do not have physical eject buttons and rely on a button on the keyboard (which might not work if your OS ever dies). Other than that though the software interface is pretty cool.

4. Diesel349

Diesel349 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I think that I may be making the PC to Mac switch soon. In my opinion mac's are easier to do school work on and have a better overall setup(and have some cool software). Plus I need a change after using Windows my whole life. I'll see how I like macs but I might switch back to PC when I go off to college in '08

5. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Macs are no easier to do schoolwork on than on a PC.

In fact, you'll end up using Microsoft's Office for Mac, so how does your schoolwork become easier when you end up working on Microsoft software?

Macs don't have any cooler software. iLife '06 gets boring within a week. Macs have bad gaming. Most software are for business professionals, so they're expensive.

6. Diesel349

Diesel349 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly I can't really explain that. I've used both mac's and pc's to do school work and I feel that I am more efficient on a mac. I don't play games either so that isn't a factor.

7. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mac sertainly has one advantage over PCs and that is iin their security. you simply cannot match a unix or linux based software for its security. most of the time Mac gets people on two points, one is the great looking computers and two is their security compared to a windows. now if you have a PC don't go running out to your mac store to get an apple. Linux has come a long way, has surpassed windows in ease of use and is approaching the mac software. If you think Linux is for geeks, and has no eye candy at all, just check out this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo

Obviously it is an extreme, but it shows the potential of the linux operating system. try doing that on xp or a mac and it will probably crash.

8. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One problem a lot of people have with OS X is that their favourite program for a praticular task may not be available for it. For example, most people who are into the anime fansub community use either Media Player Classic or VLC... and while VLC is pretty good for hardsubbed (subtitles as part of the actual video) files, it doesn't format softsubs (subtitles from external file) properly. MPC does, but as far as I know it's not available on Mac, and the MPC plus codec packs combo that is used by much of the community certainly isn't.

9. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  10. Budding

Budding Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Apple Mac OS X has plenty of distinct advantages over the old 2001 Windows XP in almost every area. Mac OS X excells in performance, compatibility, ease of use, security and customizability if you are familiar with UNIX. It just feels like a modern 2005/2006 OS. The current Mac OS X 10.4 also excells over Windows Vista in my opinion, but Vista hasn't been released yet so a proper comparison cannot yet be drawn between the two OSes.
    On the down side, a lot of games are not compatible with the Mac, and Mac hardware is pricier than PC hardware.
    Do note that it is not necessarily the case that Mac OS lacks applications, because all Linux applications work on Mac OS as OS X is a UNIX OS. So, long time Windows users who do not yet know of many applications which are very similar or even better than what they use in Windows might find Mac OS lacking in software.
    Furthermore, with the correct codecs installed, Apple Quicktime can become your main subbed video player.

I can give details and evidence supporting my statements above, should anyone request it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.