Mac versus Windows security

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by surfasb, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    See that's the thing. For day to day computing, people usually get a PC. For let's say a graphic designer, a mac has a lot more going for them. For one, Macs have many more keyboard shortcuts, and the way the programs are written for it are sort of tailored for such an audience. It's hard to explain since it's a feel that you get when you use it. I shouldn't be the one talking since I don't own a mac, but I have friends who do. I'm just relaying what they told me. :p.

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    People get whatever they want to get. Some people get a Mac because they're used to using Macs. Some people get it because others tell them it's a better operating system. Some people like the ease of Macs (one piece machine), and some people like the style.

The Mac v. PC debate really has no merit, and is just fueled by the e-penii argument that goes "hey look, my {blank} is better than yours".

I, like normal people, buy a computer for more than just the operating system. I look at the whole package, and figure out what I want to do on the computer. Screw what the OS is. As long as I can surf the web, type up documents, and play my games, I'll use it. And in my case, that OS is Windows Vista.

Arguing about it is like saying English (the language) is better than French, or German.

3. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Well, sometimes I've wondered why Macs aren't considered PCs; aren't they Personal Computers? But I've finally placed a finger on why I don't appreciate Macs, even though they are arguably pretty and well-designed: they aren't personal - at least not in my experiences with them. Macs all look alike to me - cold and impersonal.

4. neonlazer

neonlazer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I cant wait for mac to be populous(if i spelled that correctly which i doubt it :D) as windows..then ill laugh when all the macs are blowing up of viruses and stuff :D (such as if a few years from now a update of leopard would cause the firewall to be on default OFF...all hell will break loose hehe)

5. lokster

lokster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WHY is graphics designing limited to Macs? What programs do graphics designers use? USUALLY Photoshop and Illustrator BOTH programs. nothing to do with what OS they use. the keyboard short cuts are the same except its cntrl for windows and the apple sign for macs. Photoshop isnt tailored for Macs nor is it tailored for PC, thats just stereotype thinking Macs are better with graphics than PCs. dont tell me my dual core amd 2gb ram 160gb atix1270 256,mb video card is better than x3100 80gb 1gb ram and 1.5dual core -.-

stereotype. that graphics is for mac,

well said. theres nothing personal about macbooks, they look nice but its the same as the next guy, pcs vary from person to person and welcomes everyone and shuns noone. macs are quite expensive and really gets you thinking.

btw about this article thanks. Macs arent so great after all. and steves bashing of windows is another marketing attempt. sheesh

6. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Lol, I wouldn't know. I mean, I haven't used a mac so hell if I know. I guess some people prefer the OS X to Windows. =|

And no, I am not comparing systems here so don't ask me which one's better. =P

7. benx009

benx009 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Amen:D

Not really. There are some advantages of using Windows over a Mac, just like there are some advantages (be they the few) of using a Mac over Windows.

Amol, you haven't even used a Mac?

Look, people, what I mean when I say that "mac SUCKS", I am not necessarily saying that the whole system is unusable. If you're a casual user of a PC and want to type something up, browse the web, or listen to your music once in a while, sure a Mac is more or less okay for those things. In fact, believe it or not, I am typing up this post on a Mac right now. So it's not like I'm bashing Macs w/o being familiar with the other side of the debate. When I say that Mac has security issues, I'm not saying it w/o basis. I know that when I first installed Windows XP on my computer, it had this 2-3 day phase when it downloaded all of these updates, but then, after that, I rarely, if ever, saw it installing updates again. However, I find it sad, that OS X Tiger (the OS I'm using right now), which really should be a stable, secure Mac OS by now, is still doing security updates. How do I know this? Because this Mac just prompted me for a Java, Quicktime, and security update right now. They do it virtually everyday, so I'm not surprised. And even though the Java update failed, this stupid Mac is still asking me to either shutdown or restart the Mac now, and I do not have a "shutdown/restart later" option. So know I have this annoying window behind Safari (Mac's web browser) that won't go away since I really don't feel like restarting my PC now (hopefully that was fixed in Leopard:mad: ) Hmmm.... I would honestly post screenshots of all of this to back my claims, but, oh, well, what do you know, this Mac keyboard doesn't even have a "printscreen" button. And I don't see why you have to track down and install a screen capturing program just to post screenshots.

Okay, sure Photoshop is a pleasurable experience on a Mac, but that's about it. I have used both Microsoft Word and Apple's word processing program "Pages", so I can honestly say that Word kills Pages ten times over in terms of features and just plain usability. And you wonder why they ported Word/Excel/Powerpoint to Mac.... I would also rather have the innovative, cool-looking WMP11 than the boring iTunes/Quicktime combo. But maybe that's just me. Also, Safari, although usable, is not a pleasant experience for me since there is absolutely no way possible to use shortcuts to switch between tabs (a feature available in Firefox and even IE7), so you have to use the annoying, one-button mouse to do it:mad:

Apple also has this annoying trend of demanding high prices for their software products, and usually few/no freeware alternatives are available since it's a nightmare porting Windows/Linux software to the Mac operating system. And the iPhone is hands down on of the most expensive cell phones on the market ($500, despite the fact that it only costs $250 to make). Glancing over at the Apple website, sure the new Macbook Air looks cool, but charging a base price of $1799 for a lappy w/ a weak Core 2 Duo processor, 80gb HD, and a chassis that's only one pound lighter than a regular (and more powerful) $1199 13.3" laptop? Come on people.

The thing that drove me over the edge though was Apple's refusal to acknowledge that Mac actually comes from Linux roots. Yup, it's true. All Macs in existence are actually based off a modded FreeBSD. Bet they didn't tell you that at Macworld though (speaking of Macworld, Mac fanboys will probably kill me for saying all this right after the event, but whatever:rolleyes: At least I would had died fighting:D ).

P.S. I'm only using a Mac to type this because I'm at school, so I don't have a choice:p

8. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    1. Never heard of Tuesday? There were so many updates on Windows that they actually designated a day every week to them. Either way, more updates > no updates. No operating system is going to be secure for long without updates. It's a constant battle between breaking in, and keeping people out.

2. Other than games, you can do everything on a Mac that you can do on a PC. You don't like a Mac programs because you're used to PC programs. Driving on the left side would be awkward for me, but is it inferior to driving on the right side?

3. OSX has a Unix foundation, like Linux OSes. Surprise, surprise, they have a lot in common.

4. Macs are expensive. I can't defend that, however, some people are much happier shelling out 2K for a great computer, than $500 for a budget Dell or Acer. Would you rather not have an option of an "overpriced" computer?

P.S. The last thing I do is defend Apple. I'm a windows boy. I've always used windows, and never personally liked Macs. However, logic is more important to me than fanboyism.

9. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    /agree except for #4. Time and time again, general laptop prices aren't that different. Recently pricing Dells and a few others, it would be about 1700 for the same system as a 2200 MBP. Yeah, granted there is a big price difference, but it it's not as extreme as you make it out to be.

There is no such thing as a completely invulnerable PC. Unless it's unplugged. If someone has physical access to your machine, they can get in with enough know how and dedication. And with enough determination, they can also get in to your machine if it's connected to the internet. You won't see as many people going after *nix based machines, because they are harder to hack. And the majority of "hackers" are nothing but script kiddies who probably don't even know the least bit about a unix system.

Luckily, the really hard core evil hackers aren't interested in attacking home users....

10. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    4 Redux. This is pretty much one of the most argued positions in the Mac v. PC debate. Here's the thing though, from an economic standpoint, nonessential items (laptops) can't be overpriced. Everything is exactly the "right price". If it's too expensive, the customer wouldn't have bought it. If it's too cheap, the company would raise prices. I'm sure most MBP owners are well aware of the alternatives, which may be ~$500 less than the MBP with similar specs. Yet with that knowledge, they still choose to purchase the MBP. Obviously something in that package is worth $500 to them, be it the OS, the form factor, whatever. Just because, us, PC owners, find no advantage to spending the extra $500, it doesn't mean that he laptop is "overpriced". It's just too expensive to us to justify the purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.