Mac versus Windows security

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by surfasb, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    This article cracks me up

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=758

It should just be renamed "# of Mac security posts vs # of Windows security posts."

He does touch on a good point though. Vista has had very FEW security updates. One thing Microsoft did do RIGHT was restrict the privileges of background running services.

2. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Might also point out that, although I've been running :eek: unsecure :eek: Windows all my days, I've never had a virus. AVG + Comodo Firewall + Firefox + Common Sense.

4. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, common sense is most important. Don't open just any random file!

5. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    "common sense" isn't always enough, and you don't always know if you've got a virus (unless you detect it, of course)

An unpatched version of XP lasts just around a minute after being connected to the internet (if not behind a NAT router or anything), before it's infected.

Common sense on its own is far from enough. (Although of course, if you really do have common sense, you won't let that stand alone, so the point is moot)

As for the number of security holes, that in itself doesn't mean much.
    Patching a lot of security holes can mean two completely opposite things.
    It might mean your software is extremely insecure, in that you have to keep patching it, or it might mean that it's extremely secure, because you patch the holes as they're discovered.

And of course, the severity of the security flaws matters at least as much as the number of them.

6. knightingmagic

knightingmagic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I reformatted my HP for a performance boost, I got the Sasser worm before I could even turn on the firewall (the recovery discs are SP1-ish).

Instead of dealing with the worm, I just decided to nuke the system a second time, but to turn on the firewall before plugging in the ethernet cable. My computer probaly sent out a couple thousand copies of the worm before the RPC service crashed.

7. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    Amen to that.

This reminds me of a quote by Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

It just goes to show if people spent more time educating users rather than discrediting the other camp, we'd be headed somewhere.

8. KidProdigy

KidProdigy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if common sense will cut it since you can get viruses, worms, and whatnot from just being connected to the internet right? Like, even without opening any files?

9. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    That requires someone to specifically target you. Otherwise, the end user has to do something (usually a download) to infect themselves.

10. Relativity17

Relativity17 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unpatched systems, i.e, Windows XP RTM (7 year old security measures) can be wormed in less than a minute without any user interaction. SP2 with full patches is a much tougher nut to crack. Sites can be hacked however to automatically download trojans without user interaction, so the "I'm careful which sites I visit so I don't need antivirus software" excuse doesn't cut it anymore.

Example: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1242031,00.html

It could be NBF one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.