Mac user going PC

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by everc1, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everc1

everc1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As the subject describes, I am somewhat new to the pc arena. I need a computer to comfortably manipulate intensive 3D models in AutoCad and rendering packages of the like. I also need to throw around photoshop files (big ones) with ease.

$2000.00 - $2500.00 is my budget.

I have looked at Gateway (big screen one, but not happy with craftsmanship).

Dell Inspiron 8600 (not impressed w. customer support reviews)

IBM Thinkpad T series

I need a 128 MB graphics card too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Do you need battery life or portability? That's going to be the trade off with raw power.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. everc1

Reputations:
    I do not need battery life or portability.

4. nonprophet

nonprophet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I too am a ex-machead, their weak 90 day only tech support coverage($35 per incident after that....) with a new computer really was the final straw for me......

I've narrowed it down to Fujitsu and Toshiba. Fujitsu makes some very nice machines, and they offer LIFETIME tech support on their computers at no cost. They also have a VERY good reputation for customer service, build quality, and tech support which is very important to me--frankly I wouldn't even think about doing business with Dell--their website with constantly changing prices/warranties, etc. and a price that alwys is $200 more than they said it would be...I just think their business model is waaaaay to sleazy, plus I don't speak Hindu for when I deal with their tech support people....

Toshiba also stands out to me because they also have a good reputation for build quality and customer service, in addition with the Tecra and Portege series they offer 3 year warranties as standard, and id you add another $175 bucks, you get a three year "accidental replacement coverage policy" that covers you if you drop your laptop, spill coffee on it, whatever. Given the portable and thus fragile nature of laptops, I think this coverage is a must have and a steal!!!

My opinion,

NP

5. everc1

Reputations:
    Thanks NP, these are two brands I didn't even consider[:)]

6. Accendo

Accendo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am a longtime Mac user (in the news business) and also own PCs. I tested a Fujitsu C-series notebook recently (see my post under the Fujitsu section) and found it to be a very nice machine overall in terms of build and performance.

In my heart-of-hearts, I am still tempted by the 15" Powerbook, but the Fujitsu offers far more bang for my buck.

7. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by everc1

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  8. everc1

Reputations:
    I am looking at the Fujitsu models and am tempted by the 'celsius', but the price tag is huge. This is the type of machine i would like, but not at this price tag.

Does anyone know what model may lend itself to a 128MB graphics card?

9. everc1

Reputations:
    I can only find the Acer 1710

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.