Mac Switcher's Guide

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridley23

Ridley23 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wanted to look at the Macbooks today, but the only Best Buy nearby didn't have anything but a $2400 Macbook Air and a display. Terrible. :(

Oh well. I still really want it, so I may buy online or wait until next weekend when I go home where an Apple Store is.

2. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Nice, congrats! You could get it on Amazon, with no tax! ;) Which model were you looking to buy?

3. Ridley23

Ridley23 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I may be picking up the Macbook white, since I am not looking to spend an incredible amount of money. However, is there a big difference between the 2.0GHz and the 2.4GHz? I may plan on reselling it next year, but am just looking for what I want now. lol

Someone actually offered me a trade for my package deal, but it was the old Macbook and here are the specs:

Intel 2.0Ghz Core Duo CPU
    2GB Ram
    80GB Hard Drive
    13.3 LCD Monitor
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Slot Loading SuperDrive
    Mac OS X 10.5.6 Restore DVDs

Dunno if that's a good deal or not. :/ Or should I just put my laptop on eBay?

4. Colton

Reputations:
    Whoa, that's a rip-off! :eek: That MB would really be around $600. I'd say your best bet is to try ebay, and see what happens on there. You could also sell it on NBR, and I'd highly recommend that! ;) And no, there really isn't a big difference between the 2.0 and the 2.4, except for a backlit keyboard :D, a 90GB bigger HDD, and .4GHz faster processor. You won't see much use of that .4GHz in normal daily use, but if you rip alot of movies and use CPU intensive stuff on a daily basis, then I'd recommend it. ;)

5. Ridley23

Ridley23 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, I am selling it on here, and the best I have gotten is $700! Here's my proof: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=353088

As a college student, I can't expect to buy a new computer, especially a Macbook, for that much and expect to be satisfied for the next year or so, especially until I graduate! I know $765 is my current rate, but that's $65 less to pay for!

I just wish that Best Buy had it. But then again, by the time someone does buy this laptop, it may be next week, and I can see it in the store instead. Not a big deal, but I guess I can always have a salesman explain the extra GHz to me. I know you pretty much got it, but perhaps a face-to-face will help. I know a lot about computers, but this small stuff goes over my head. lol

EDIT: Argh, but why all the hate on the Macbook? Is it really as bad as everyone is saying? Sorry if I sound easily influenced, but I have never owned an Apple laptop before. :-/

6. lapino

lapino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still "switching", so certain things are still unclear on how to do them on Mac. One of the things I do very regularly is make a backup copy of my daughter's (animation) dvd's. What software is best for that on Mac?

7. Colton

Reputations:
    HandBrake. It'll let you rip them to your HDD, and then you can burn it onto another DVD if you would like. It also will copy them in many different formats, such as Quicktime, AppleTV, iPod, etc. I really recommend this app for what you're looking for. ;)

8. lapino

lapino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell handbrake does not allow me to rip the DVD (often protected) contents to my drive?

9. Colton

Reputations:
    That might be the case. Most of all my movies that I've ripped have been 2008 and before. Are they new movies?

10. ClearSkies

ClearSkies Well no, I'm still here..

Reputations:
    The newest HB version should, but I remember reading that you have to install VLC in order to make it work for the video decrypt.

There may be problems with the newest Disney/Pixar discs, however, as they keep throwing new DRM algorithms onto them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.