Mac Switcher's Guide

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdnalsi

cdnalsi Food for the funky people

Reputations:
    Oh Sam, you've got a lot of updating to do on your original posts. Great job so far though :D

2. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    I feel for you Sam...:D

3. jazz_samz

jazz_samz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi... I am really a MAC noob and need some help here.

I am seriously considering getting a MAC for work. I am on an ASUS running XP now. I mainly use my PC for emails, excel, word and Access...

The main concern is Access.. I've done some goggling and found that MAC don't support MS Access.. I understand that I can go by two options:
    1) Do a dual OS and install MS Office along with XP
    2) Use Openoffice.

ANybody have the same concerns as me and managed to overcome those?

For my Access usage, its nothing complicated but just that I have some simple database application on Access where my master price list is available, and I can upload a list of items to filter out the prices for my work purpose.. thats mainly it... Are there any Mac program that I can use my Access knowledge to rebuild the database?

Will taking option (1) lead me to another set of problems?
    I am trying to also reduce any possibility of spending too much to acquire new software and would hope that Apple have a work suite that would meet my needs.

Another final concern are the drivers home routers, printers (canon) and whether I would have any problem accessing my current files on my PC system.

Sorry for the qns and I would really appreciate any help rendered.

4. sdn2009

sdn2009 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just bought a 2.4GHz MacBook.

When I would buy a new PC, I quickly installed antivirus (AVG), firewall, and utilities (CCleaner, Tune-up, Perfectdisk, etc.) software.

Are there equivalents for a Mac ? If so, what are recommended ? Do I even need them ?

Thank you !!!

5. jdstoddard

jdstoddard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @sdn: Keep up with Software Updates.... no A/V needed. Turn on the firewall in System Prefs.

Enjoy the new laptop!

6. cdnalsi

cdnalsi Food for the funky people

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input. I'm sure sdn2009 got a lot from it and is now a better person actually.

As far as your original question, sdn2009, jdstoddard is right. There's no need for an anti-virus software. Just keep up to date with the updates from Apple.

7. kboyer

kboyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just bought a new 13" unibody MacBook after MANY years of using Windows machines. I'm really impressed with this machine! Thanks Sam. This thread has been a tremendous resource for me!

8. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Congrats! :) It really is a great machine, and will last a long time! ;) If you need any help or have any questions, we will be happy to help you! :)

9. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
  10. kboyer

kboyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, Colton and xirurg. There's really only two things I'm struggling with at the moment.

1. Learning and memorizing the keyboard shortcuts. After 20 years of using Windows keyboard shortcuts, the Mac ones are coming a little slowly. I have to keep reminding myself that the Apple key is my friend. But some of the shortcuts, like going to the top of a page or the beginning of a line, are not real obvious or intuitive to me. Yet.

2. Withstanding the teasing (some of it not so friendly) from friends and co-workers on my switch to Mac. I hear everything from "Macs are just toys" to "Just wait a few months, you're Mac will be as slow as your Vista machine", to "You're kidding yourself if you think you are immune from viruses" to "Mac is just the lesser of two evils" to "Mac's are great for "users", but for power users, those of us who overclock, enhance, improve or adapt to new uses... PC wins by a mile" Any coaching and ammunition you guys can supply to gently persuade them that Mac's are a very able, stable, elegant machine, would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, I spent yesterday finishing the migration from a Dell laptop with Vista to my new MacBook yesterday. Office 2008 for Mac is amazing. Very nice and easy to use, no problems with document compatibility with Windows Office machines, and no problems with calendar invites.

Also, in less than a minute I was able to bind the Mac to our Active Directory and mount some volumes on the file server. I still need to figure out how to place some shortcuts on my dock for volumes I've mounted on the file server -- they are mounted but I don't know how to easily get to them.

Thanks again guys! I feel so liberated! And I think some of the criticism I've been getting is misguided jealousy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.