Mac Switcher's Guide

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke1708

Luke1708 Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    i did it...i simply launched bootcamp assistant, deleted the partition, created a new one and then installed windows on it after having formatted the partition using ntfs file system...Anyways thanks for your help above

2. mysticstryk

mysticstryk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am a regular PC user and am putting serious thought into going Mac (at least in the laptop field).

I am really interested in getting the baseline Macbook for $1,299. My gaming needs are minimal, and based on some youtube videos, the integrated 9400m performs very well. I have a couple questions regarding the Macbook though.

1) I have a 64bit version of Vista Home Premium, should I upgrade the RAM in the Macbook to 4gb for the 64bit OS or is the base 2gb fine? I'd prefer 2gb if I can.
    2) I have heard of issues with the new Macbooks. Something about the screen. Could anybody elaborate on this rumored issue? Is it affecting the masses?
    3) If I get a Macbook, should I opt for the extended AppleCare plan? Or should I just keep with the 1 year limited warranty, and upgrade to the AppleCare plan when that is about to expire (if need be, and I'll have more money then too).
    4) Anything else I should know?

3. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    If you plan on running Vista through Boot Camp, then 2 GB is fine. But if you want to run it virtually with either Fusion or Parallels, you'll need 4 GB to get good performance.

One thing I've been reading about in these forums is how glossy/reflective the screen is. Of the posts I've read on the subject, people didn't like it at all and ended up returning the systems. If you can, go to a Best Buy or Apple Store to take a look at the systems in person to decide if you'll be fine with it.

It doesn't really matter on if you get it now or just before the 1st year warranty expires, unless you want to have that phone support as well during the first year. If you don't buy the plan early on, you lose the phone support after the first 90-days.

4. Mr0wyx

Mr0wyx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! Awesome!

5. johnnymg2

johnnymg2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just purchased a base Aluminum macbook.

Installed 4 GB of OWC RAM, and am using Fusion with 64 bit Vista............. works great. Loaded WAY easier than my 64 bit Vista desktop. Note: OSX seems a bit odd to me ................. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

The screen looks fine to me but it is a bit sensitive to off angle viewing. I'm going to get AppleCare when the machine is close to a year old.

regards
    JohnG

6. taeya

taeya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    no, i'd leave that alone and stick with the MBP.

7. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Post 9000!

8. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Congratulations, Sam!

9. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    We opened a thread for you in OT ;)

10. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    I somehow missed the 6000th, 7000th, and 8000th posts... :(

Uber-Grats Sam! The big one is at 10000... place your bets now on how fast Sam will reach it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.