Mac Switcher's Guide

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Sam, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hoping that someone could answer this question, when I turn on my macbook or wake it up by opening the lid.....the superdrive would make a noise......does anybody know how to make the superdrive from making this noise everytime the macbook turns on, restarts, or wake up?

2. ClearSkies

ClearSkies Well no, I'm still here..

Reputations:
    I don't believe you can, unfortunately, as that's a hardwired function in the motherboard BIOS or something. That's the system querying the drive on startup.

Just something I'll have to get used to, I guess, although I don't find it all that noisy or offensive myself.

3. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Download a free program called InsomniaX, that will keep your MacBook "awake" :p. Of course, I stress that over time its not the best thing to do so, but your choice!

Its just part of the settings, there really isn't anything you can do about it. It is annoying yes, but its not a huge deal and only lasts two seconds :D.

4. Maryjo

Maryjo Newbie

Reputations:
    Only ever having used a PC laptop, it seems to me that the memory and hard drives on Macbooks are very small. I considered buying a Macbook and looked on some Apple forums and most of the posters seemed to buy a Macbook and immediately upgrade the memory. Macbooks are expensive compared to similar spec PC laptops especially if you then have to upgrade the memory.

That is how it seems to a PC user but, it may be that Macbooks work in a different way and do not need as much memory?

5. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That would be correct if you are comparing to a PC laptop coming with VISTA and bloatwares.....In my opinion, Macbook is not that much more expensive than a PC laptop as I was in the market for pc laptops until this new macbook came out....it was only 150$ difference for me to go with the macbook compared to the high end Lenovo U330 but I also get a better graphics. Macbook is also cheaper than sony Z, so it all depends on which specific laptop you are comparing too. Generally it is quite true that for the same spec you pay less on a pc, but that is not always the case.

6. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its not Mac hardware itself, rather Mac OS X uses less resources than Windows Vista does; Vista will not function comfortably on 1 GB of RAM, while OS X will. Both do fine with 2 GB.

7. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    Windows 7 on the other hand so far seems as if it will do amazingly well on only 1 GB of memory, based on the keynote address from the PDC 2008 conference, where they demoed it on a netbook with one of those Atom processors. :D

8. Luke1708

Luke1708 Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    i installed a bootcamp partition which i formatted using fat32...if i did format it using ntfs, woud i be able to make parallels use it as a virtual os?

9. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    Yes, Parallels can use either FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS is recommended though.

10. Luke1708

Luke1708 Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    great!!!!i'll reformat it using ntfs...and another question, to reformat and install windows, do i need to open my bootcamp assistant?if it tells me to select a partition size, what do i do? coz i have already created a partition for windows...i just want to format it to ntfs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.