Mac Switchers Guide V2.0 With Illustrations

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Xirurg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Sparxxx

Sparxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys this might have been asked previously so I am sorry for that.
    What do I need to use an external HDD on both my Macbook Air and my Windows Laptop? The partitions are NTFS and I would like them to stay like that (to write files bigger than 4GB).

I would like to be able to read/write on both of them

There are some applications that promise to do that under OSX. Are they any good? Which one do you recommend.

Thanks!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In a perfect world, you would re-format the drive to the exFAT file system and be able to read and write from both OS X and Windows without the need for extra software. However, I personally have had issues with exFAT as OS X would cause large data transfers to become corrupt. I've used Tuxera NTFS for Mac with a fair amount of success. Speeds should be more than adequate for an external drive. It's pricier than the other major OS X NTFS driver (Paragon), but Tuxera's license is lifetime whereas Paragon require you to pay for each major revision.

3. Sparxxx

Sparxxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks... I`ll get the Tuxera than.

4. nick779

nick779 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The links in the table of contents dont seem to work anymore. and the link for mac firewall is gone

Fantastic guide though

5. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    There is differences in the brands/Quality of the components Macintosh uses. like DELL/HP/Lenovo/ASUS they started using the cheapest least expensive of everything they could.
    There might not be a performance increase using upgrades (hardware wise) not from Macstore or direct from mac , but, more likely than not - the higher grade, longer lasting, more robust hardware is found elsewhere, and usually costs less. This is especially true considering the RAM, and their graphics cards (when it comes to iMac's for instance) and their HDD/SSD's.

Also, like DELL and HP, depending where your iMac or MacBook was manufactured/Assembled, it might come with parts from China or higher quality parts assembled from Japan imported to the USA. Dell and Apple are BOTH known for having different LCD's depending on where you get it from. Some end up with some Taiwan crap or end up with some better LG version etc...

meh, just wanted to add my comments, sorry for NECROTHREADING :p just thought to peak into this section and see how the nerds are doing :p (jesting in good fun, we all love you!)