Mac Switchers Guide V2.0 With Illustrations

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Xirurg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    1) why would you need that? you can always use another navigator. and Yes they do.

2)what is the filsystem that is in the HD? if its NTFS you are either going to reformat the thing (I did that, formated to exfat, only linux dont have support fo it, but after a tweak it works) or endure the non capability of writing to the drive. Or use a program that will do that for you

3) you will still have to copy and paste I have a motorola android phone as well.

4) the interface is close to the ribbon one, simpler though (office 2011), however you should be aware that there is only word, excel and powerpoint from the office package that is offered in windows. There are some tools for connectivity that are indeed cool

5) its available on office 2011 and I think as a standalone download

PS: I advise you to use VLC to run your videos on mac, quicktime is as limited as wmp

2. NumLock

NumLock Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For External HDD i plan to divide it to two partitions; one NTFS and the other a native MAC fs.

Would it be less resource consuming if I plan to store my active (commonly accessed files) in a native mac fs on the external hdd OR use a ntfs-3g or some other program that can write and read NTFS?

I'm more towards whichever will perform faster/better and uses less resources.

3. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    ^^that way is indeed the most resource intensive, since you are going to be able to read and write on the HFS+ partition and only read on the NTFS partition.

Do the simple thing and go for exFAT, you can read and write on both OS, and with a minor program you can do that on linux as well

4. NumLock

Reputations:
    Awesome! thanks. exFAT it shall be then.

5. NumLock

Reputations:
    if backspace is to 'delete' key on the mac. what is the 'del' key counterpart from windows on a mac keyboard? I want to delete a character in front of the curser and not to the left of it .

6. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    AFAIK there isnt. this is nagging when I code on visual studio

7. NumLock

Reputations:
    I'm on my windows pc now and have not tested this: fn+delete

source: blog post on mac delete key

8. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    if you have a full size keyboard on the Mac, it will have a del key on it that works fine... or if you plug in a Windows keyboard with a del key, it will work normally as expected.

If you have a smaller Apple keyboard, like the ones built into the laptops, then you do not have a del key, and you have to press fn+delete (fn+backspace).

They call the key Delete, but its exactly like backspace, it is just a different word printed on the label. It even works as backspace if you boot into Windows.

9. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    juanderful! got use it now that I know it!

10. Lieto

Lieto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I figured out its the best place to ask:
    Is there a way to search by file type in specific directory in mac os x?

I have a folder that has million subfolders in it and million different files (literally 850,000). I need to extract all .psd files out of that mess.
    Whats the best way to do it? Tried digging through spotlight prefs but failed to realize how (and if) i can make it work.

Ok command F solved my problem but the new one arise — half of the files have same name and while its fine if they are in different directories i cant copy them to one directory because of that

Is there a way to copy so each consecutive file with existing name woul be named like copy_name etc?