Mac Switchers Guide V2.0 With Illustrations

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Xirurg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    Thanks, I removed the link.

Sorry for being inactive lately guys, I will recive my mbp tomorrow and be back :D

2. 00940

00940 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today, external hard drives are extremely common. If they come from the Windows world, chances are that those drives are formatted in NTFS. It is a common source of questions among "switchers" around me. "Why can't I put stuff on my hard drive or my friend's ?"

Maybe add a question about that, pointing towards ntfs-3g.

3. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    Great idea. I ll do that this weakened

4. infamous84

infamous84 Newbie

Reputations:
    nice thread, wanting to switch to macs for a while

5. Chillihound

Chillihound Newbie

Reputations:
    Very useful info, thank you very much.
    This thread has been of much assistance in setting up and getting used to my very first Mac.

6. RamGuy

RamGuy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What kind of multimedia software do you use?

On Windows I've got:
    - CoreAVC (If something like this exists for OSX?)
    - Combined Community Pack / K-Lite Codec Pack (Some kind of codec pack making me able to play all kinds of codecs on Mac OSX)
    - Media Player Classic Home Cinema (Awesome media player software that provides great great file support combined with awesome video quality (aka no VideoLAN (VLC)))

7. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, so i have a mac now, older one from 2 years ago that runs hot like nearly can burn your fingers on the bottom lol, and I have adapted though it was a problem with no right menu key.

Anyway, aside from the fact that choices of programs is limited on Macs, I can get why computer pendus would love Mac as it has that easy going feeling. But a person who is hands on with windows, I would say Windows is far more interesting if you try to learn the process as I have tried to do. Anti-virus / anti-malware is a non-issue now since you can get free programs and I even did a scan with ClamXav for the Mac (took a long time with loud fans) but I would rather be safe than sorry. It is true that windows has more malware, but then windows corners more than 80% of the market and hence is the easier target for attack.

I am not convinced yet to switch to Macs onlyå yet but then I am on Windows 7 so perhaps a vista user might have another opinion.

8. di1in

di1in Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm new to mac and I have a problem which I hope someone could help me solve.

When i download an app from appstore I dim the lcd to 0 while the file downloads and I'm away from the system, but then either of 2 things happen:

1. Screensaver kicks in and the lcd brightens up automatically. This is in no way saving my screen.
    2. Once i disabled the screensaver by setting the timeout to never after a couple of minutes instead of the screen saver the desktop brightens up.

In both these cases when i press a key or a use the trackpad the displays goes back to dim where i left it. Is there a way to stop this or is my mac playing with me?

9. lakersgo

lakersgo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, my first mac will be arriving any time soon, so I thought I would start asking questions before its arrival.

1. Does google toolbar work with safari? If not, is it easy to transition bookmarks into Safari? Also, I rely on Google calendar, contacts and notes...will these play nicely on a mac?

2. I've got an external HD full of stuff (documents, video, mp3, photos)...will mac be compatible with most of them?

3. I recently bought an android phone (motorola triumph to be exact), how will these two work together? I know they don't work as a unit on a PC (I had to copy and paste files like a usb drive).

4. Does microsoft office work the same way as on the PC side? Or do I need to relearn the interface?

5. I use live messenger to chat with friends, is it available on a mac?

Until I can think of a few more questions, thanks in advance.

10. lakersgo

lakersgo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone? Perhaps?