M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At the time that the M6800 was released in 2013, no display manufacturers were producing high-DPI 17" screens... That's the whole reason.

2. rlk

rlk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I see.

Which leads to a really bizarre question: whether the 15.6" panel from the M4800 could somehow be mounted in the M6800. That might take a bit more metal/plastic fabrication than I have experience with...

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmm. Never thought of that. I suspect that this would work (getting it mounted "properly" would be the trick). The M4800 and M6800 have pretty much the same BIOS and other internal hardware, and I'm pretty sure the high-DPI panels for the M4800 are eDP, and the M6800 has an eDP port on the motherboard even if your display is LVDS (I believe).

You could just get an M4800. If you are OK without the optical drive (or just use an external one when needed), you can still have two 2.5" drives + mSATA.

4. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually upgraded from an M6800 to a 7710 because I was having a few issues with my 6800 that dell apparently couldn't solve. I was a little bummed that the 2.5 bay count was reduced by one, and the lack of an optical drive for me was a minor annoyance. Honestly though, I got an external bluray drive, and I have a 512gb NVMe ssd and a 1tb 2.5 hdd and I'm good to go. The laptop is just such a solidly build machine otherwise it even puts the 6800 to shame IMO. And that 4k screen is just unbelievable.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21070

That's the link for the motherboard. They appear to not have the screen listed right now, but they did last time I was there and looking. It's definitely a think. At some point dell just started selling them with IPS screens, right before they were discontinued I believe. If I see it pop back up, I'll post a number. Otherwise, if you contact parts-people they can probably give you a part number at least.

5. rlk

rlk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My problem is I need a lot of storage. I currently have 5 TB in my M6500 and am not that thrilled that I can't do that in a newer machine without spending a thoroughly exorbitant sum (or going through the inconvenience of an external drive).

I'm currently leaning toward an M7710 or possibly an M7510 when the right machine comes up for the right price (I wouldn't pass on an M7720 or M7520 either, but the price is less likely to be right) and living with the inconvenience. It looks like getting everything I otherwise want means either an inferior screen (Clevo P650, Dell M6800) or desktop processor, with all the hassles that entails (Clevo 870) or iffy brand (Gigabyte). Plus, used 7710's can be had for quite a bit less money.

6. TriBeard

Reputations:
    I think I just quoted you in another thread, but check out the Lenovo P51. Might be a better fit.

epsilon72 likes this.
  7. rlk

rlk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They look like potentially interesting machines, but they're considerably more expensive than Dells on eBay. The built-in calibrator won't do me a lot of good since I will be running Linux, not Windows.

8. TriBeard

Reputations:
    The P70/P50 are generally cheaper and you can get those well within your 2k budget.

9. rlk

rlk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The P50/P70 machines are more expensive than the Dell 7510/7710 is what I meant (and the processors are on the whole not as fast). Is the extra 2.5" bay enough to make up for that? TBD.

10. RealJEDI

RealJEDI Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm. Went a similar road: from M6500 to M6700 to 7720:
    Losing the internal optical drive was no problem -> available external slimline drives (BD-XL) are even better than the built-ins.
    And storage? Right now the 7720 can be upgraded to 8TB SSD: 2x 2TB m.2 and 1x 4TB 2.5inch. I bought the latter and it solves my problems for a while. I also use a Samsung T3 2TB (very small) which delivers 450MB/s on USB3 for some collaborative video projects.
    Firewire and ExpressCard/34 are both possible with Thunderbolt adaptors (doing this right now).
    eSATA is still available on E/Port docking stations.
    Broadband/WWAN (3G/4G) is possible via DW 5811 cards (working even with the 4K display).

So I don't see a reason not to upgrade from M6500/M6600/M6700/M6800 to Precision 7710/7720 [except the price :)]
    After 2 weeks "7720" I'm starting to enjoy it (but Win10 s*cks -> more than ever I'm inside a virtualized Ubuntu).

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 5:21 AM