M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad to help. I came across this issue recently, so I gave it shot to see whether it might the same in your case.

2. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello guys - sorry to bump up an old post.

Got a M6800 with Core i7-4900MQ (2.9Ghz, upto 3.9Ghz TurboBoost) in the office. Have just repasted it with Gelid GC3 (CPU, GPU). Pretty decent application I think.

In the Dell diagnostics, it seems to still have the max temp of 96 degrees (normally around 70-80s when not stressing very heavily). I guess even new, with the 4900MQ - it can run hot. Would it be sensible to just disable the turboboost in the balanced energy mode (e.g. day to day), and use turboboost when the application really needs it? (e.g. max performance mode when needed).

3. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've used the Shin Etsu thermal paste (or TIM - Thermal Interface Material as reviewers would like to call it) on the CPU (4940MX) and GPU (P5000) in my M6800. There are some improvements in the temperature department, but like you it wasn't that much of a difference but kept within specs.

However, what I noticed was although the max temp was slightly lower than before the system was now able to efficiently dissipate the heat away. Thermal protection measures never kicked in when stressing the system and the cooling fans never went off like a jet engine.

To me the TIM is doing its job. Unless you move on to liquid metal but that is something I will not touch with a ten foot pole.

IMHO, there is no benefit in disabling turbo boost in balanced energy mode. The speed boost usually lasts just a for a short period and doesn't cause the temperature to spike to high levels. I'll leave the settings to default and let the system handle it.