M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you have graphics switching (Optimus) turned on in the BIOS, you will see both the Intel GPU and the NVIDIA GPU as separate devices in Device Manager. If you only see the NVIDIA GPU, graphics switching (Optimus) is not turned on. You can switch it from the BIOS. If you switch it, you will have to reinstall the GPU driver (the system recognizes the card as a different device, depending on the mode, and it will have a different hardware ID). Pay attention to which device to use when modifying the driver INF file as I described above.

If Optimus is on, you can monitor behavior with a system tray tool. Go to the NVIDIA control panel, and select "Desktop -> Display GPU Activity..." from the menu at the top. A square icon will appear in the tray. Gray means that the NVIDIA GPU is powered off. Colored means that the NVIDIA GPU is powered on. If you click on an icon, a box will pop up telling you which programs are using the NVIDIA GPU.

2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys, need your help. i broke my motherboard and audio side board..! my display is a 1600x900. model : dell m6800. could you please guide me how to find out the item number of the said boards?

it will be great if you can provide me the same directly just in case you happen to know. pleeeeease help

3. User32

User32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm quite sure motherboards on the M6800 are all the same, independent of screen resolution.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=m6800+motherboard
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=m6800+io+board

I'm not sure if all of the motherboards are the same. If there is a difference, it is LVDS vs eDP for the display output. (M4800 had different motherboards for each, with early units shipping with LVDS but later ones using eDP.) Look at what is printed on the motherboard where your display output connector is and make sure that the one that you buy matches it.

DynamiteZerg likes this.
  5. MDM3D

MDM3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Notebook Review,

I am thinking about upgrading my M6800 Video Card. I have m6100 currently. I would like to throw in a M5000m. It has the

PJK33
    LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 17.3FHD, WLED, LVDS, AG, Z, LEGEND

monitor so LVDS limitations apply. I have seen a M6700 upgraded to a 980m but I haven't seen a M5000m in a M6800. Do I need a Nvidia heatsink to go along with the card?

Basically is the M5000m a drop in replacement for my setup or does the lvds cable prevent the card form working?

Thanks you for you help.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    M5000M works with LVDS. (I'm running it in my M6700 with LVDS.) You just need to make sure that the heatsink is compatible, I'm not sure whether there are separate AMD and NVIDIA heatsinks for the M6800.

7. MDM3D

Reputations:
    In your opinion is the M5000m the fastest card I can put in the m6800 that is compatable with an lvds style motherboard?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yes. Though, depending on your workload, GeForce 980M may be equivalent. They have the same specs in terms of shader count and clock speed, the Quadro just has some extra features that are utilized in business apps (not gaming).

9. MDM3D

Reputations:
    right now the difference between a dell 980m and a dell m5000m is small so i would rather get the M500m and not have to fight so much with the drivers inf files. maybe?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You will have to fight with the driver INF files either way.