M6600 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tomcom2k, May 23, 2011.

1. smcgil9899

smcgil9899 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't seem to find a member on the Member List named Mano G. Oops, sorry, I just found him. His username is Dell Mano G.

2. jaivipin

jaivipin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    but I want to merge recovery partition with my drive where current OS in installed before I install the new OS.

3. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator

Reputations:
    What are you trying to do? You can blow both partitions away and merge them into one before you install Windows.

Why would you want to merge them right now when you are already able to blow both away and merge them into one afterwards?

They would give you the same results, just pop in the Windows 7 Disc that came with your Dell and proceed until you see the HDDs listed and where it tells you to choose the location of your Windows install.

By pressing drive options on that screen, you can format, delete, and merge all your partitions the way you want them.

4. Torai

Torai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If u want u can do that easily in win 7. Right click my computer, choose "manage". Then click on "Disk management" and all there for you to do whatever you want.

a bit off topic but here's my baby... love it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. n0xlf

n0xlf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone notice if their 7 and 8 keys are noticeably brighter than the rest? Kind of annoying...Easy to replace though if I need to get another one...

6. rproeber

rproeber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see that a couple other people have answered your question. But note that:

I purchased my M6600 with only the smallest 250GB HDD because I don't believe in HDDs anymore, particularly when you are talking about a computer that costs $4k - $6k or more (assuming it is decked out of course). So I put in a new 480GB Corsair Force GT SSD so I didn't have to worry about doing what you're doing - and all of this assumes you didn't order it with an SSD.

I'm happy I did this because I have this brightness adjustment problem (as in there is none) and so the dude from Dell support had me finally put the HDD that came with the system in and see if that made a difference, but still the brightness adjustment does not adjust anything. The slider works, the keyboard adjusts the slider, but the brightness level remains exactly the same. They are replacing my machine.

I'm also happy it is getting replaced because the piece of plastic that contains the volume buttons and speakers and power button is visibly quite wavy and not flat. For a tool and die maker, this is difficult to look at, much less slide your finger across to feel the waviness...

Has anyone else with IPS and 5010 had this problem? I'm curious to see if Bokeh experiences it, as there aren't too many people that have an IPS and 5010 (and 2960XM). I'm not sure if the "no brightness adjustment" issue is related to this configuration, or if I just got lucky.

7. jaivipin

jaivipin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Worked. Thx

8. EKNIGHT1

EKNIGHT1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Great responses that was a big help and I know my q is unanswerable considering the parts are not out yet but I appreciate the stabs at it

I am investing big dollars and I really need a machine that will last or squeak by 5 yrs from now as my current notebook has done although its on its last legs or pegs now

I have been following this model m6600 for quite a while now and unfortunately or fortunately I put my money on the fact that the upgrades are done and I think IB and any new components will be incorporated in the 6700 model

Speculation but I dont think a new ati card with ips combo will be an option on the 6600 unless ati has a card that can compete with the 5010m in professional performance benchmarks as this is not a gaming rig

9. DallasGeezer

DallasGeezer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a temp question on a Dell laptop with a i7-740 and a Nvidia 330M. Our CPA, who uses it, says he is getting a blank screen followed by video error message that it had recovered in the right hand corner. I have not duplicated the error message myself, since I just got a hold of it last night.

I ran Prime95 to test the CPU temps under load, and I'm hitting 93 degrees Celsius after 5 minutes using Coretemp. Of course this is core temp, and not case temp. I think Intel specs say 100 C is the shutdown for the CPU, which I think is measured at the top of the CPU case. Still, this is way too hot for my taste.

I called Dell service, and he said as long as it does not shut down it's OK. I don't agree.

10. EKNIGHT1

EKNIGHT1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This setup is very similar with what I am looking at and I was wondering how easy the ssd swap and os reinstall was for you and if anyone has experience with dell data recovery service and how that works cuz this is the main reason I am considering ssd from dell as ssd and raid can be a nightmare when hours or months of work are lost I know supposedly not an issue anymore but it happens and has happened just ask murphy

I am also wondering if you installed the ram yourself or if it came that way and what are your initial thoughts on the ips display