M6000 (7870M) GPU thread

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Gofspar, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks! Just for comparison - my 570M at 726MHz on core (could be 740 or 800 with overvolting which I don't recommend).
    I wish you could solve the mystery about why can't go higher. Usually helps to choose earlier version of software.
    [​IMG]

2. Gofspar

Gofspar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's due to a bios limit, I had to mod my bios to go higher, if hes down to flash a bios I can fix it for him

3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    vBIOS? I guess that should work. So that's why _Drake_'s GPU was called as "Generic GPU"?

4. stephen0205

stephen0205 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anyone flashed a new bios on the m6000 yet. Would love to get that little bit more out of it ?

5. Hobgoblinpie

Hobgoblinpie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Installed my M6000 today. There are a few issues with it, but overall it's a great upgrade.

Problems:
    - Fan Control doesn't work (In Speedfan, MSI afterburner etc. Luckily the auto profile is fine)
    - HWInfo crashes when checking sensors (Sensor #9)
    - MSI Afterburner overclocking is finicky
    - Overdrive unavailable in Crimson (Would be available if flashed as a 7870M, but I don't have a vbios for this)

GTA V is hammering this laptop. GPU usage very rarely hits 100%, and when driving around it can become totall unplayable. When moving around on foot, FPS is 40-50.

Saw people were doing benchmarks in 3dmark 11 so went and did one. My card is perfectly happy at 1000Mhz without a voltage increase, which is nice. The benchmark was run at 1010Mhz core (tried 1040Mhz which is the max in MSI afterburner but it crashed, then 1020 and it crashed, settled on 1010 and it finished the benchmarks) and 1100Mhz memory.

[​IMG]
    I ran GRID 2 afterwards at Ultra preset with 4x MSAA, got an average FPS of 35, minimum of 28, max of 40. However, I had to reduce the core clock to 1000Mhz. At 1010Mhz it crashed the graphics driver. Which means it's roughly equivalent to an 850M with DDR3 RAM. However I don't know whether the CPU would be affecting it or not. Considering the price, I'd say it's well worth it if you still have a 240M, 260M, or 5850. I'm quite interested in seeing how far this thing could go with a vbios mod to increase the voltage, but I'm not too handy with this type of stuff.

Also ran 3DMark, but it has some issues. The Ice Storm test consistently gives me a graphics score of 115,000, compared to 145,000 for Stephen with only a clock of 880Mhz, The Skydiver benchmark runs pretty well though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Cloud Gate, the graphics score is 2600 higher than the one posted one page back, but the Physics score absolutely ruins it. My CPU definitely needs an upgrade. Overall pretty happy.

If anybody has had success flashing a vbios for this card so that it appears as a 7870M I'd be grateful if you shared it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    James D and STiHiaL like this.
  6. stephen0205

Reputations:
    Going to do all my benchmarks again later on today. I Found out how to work msi afterburner a little better, and gave me the option to unlock the card a bit more.

Done the benchmarks quickly before work. But didnt get to save or screen shot. I got it to pass a few of them at 1000mhz but it crashed the display driver the first time. Second time went through not bad, bit glitcy, see how it performs with a little more power through it.

Not done any bios mods yet, but with the help on here... cant see it being to long.

Ill get the benchies done today and repost. Ill run em at 980 /1100 which went through solid. Just flawless. 1000 / 1100 was a tad glitchy, but ill fire the power a bit higher see if it stables it a little.

7. stephen0205

Reputations:
    Ok got it to 980 / 1100. Wouldn't do 1000mhz unfortunately. Maybe with a voltage mod it will do it.

Anyhow the goodies. Solid at 980 / 1100, but was flickery at 990 / 1100

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not bad at all. I think the 7970M doesn't get double the score at the same clock speed so pretty good!

You should try to push the vram more? Perhaps you can unlock more performance!

Hobgoblinpie likes this.
  9. STiHiaL

STiHiaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, VRAM could be pushed up to 1250-1300MHz. Take a look at this results.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Hobgoblinpie likes this.
  10. Hobgoblinpie

Hobgoblinpie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ran Fire Strike & Skydive with 1000/1300 clocks, Fire Strike went up 500 points and Skydive went up 400.

I don't think I'll be able to get any more performance from this card without overvolting/custom vbios and CPU upgrade.

Overall, pretty happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also ran 3DMark 11 and my score went up to 1262, so a 40 point increase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.