M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jpsulisz

jpsulisz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    John Carlson likes this.
  2. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    Hey all,

Purchased this UJ499 battery from eBay, always appreciated a slice, https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-P...533799&hash=item5483bbc768:g:GV4AAOSwPO5esdCU .

The battery itself will only charge to about 55-65 and then stop taking a charger despite HWMonitor, Power Stats in Linux, and the Bios telling me it has an additional 30k mWh left. I have done 2 calibration tests and the result is about the same each time. I also took the battery to the charger directly since this battery has power in, and the battery took a charger for a few seconds before saying it was full (no led).

(Also tried every combination of charging in the bios)

I have already set a return with the seller, but any help would be appreciated if I missed something. Though I meant this more like a PSA for those who were wondering on the slice batteries.

Edit: Just contacted the seller via phone, they are now retesting these batteries as they had been in storage for a year. My replacement is being tested again, will definitely update on the new one.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its a battery from 2015, even if they find some that test at an higher capacity they will have reduced capcity simply due to their age and being on a shelf for 6 years, its amazing that it works at all to be honest..

4. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    While true, it should still charge to 100% especially when the seller mentions they've been tested.

5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 60ish Wh is the battery current 100% capacity, it has degraded..

6. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    Sure, but then the battery should list that as wear afaik. Meaning it will charge to 60 kWh and list that as 100%, not charge to 60% and stop charging. The software indicates that it can go up to 91 kWh, originally like 99 kWh. The battery seller agreed that it should charge to 100% even if the battery has degraded.

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your OS needs to learn the new capacity and write that into the battery, give it a few charge/discharge cycles and the data will be correct then.

8. jpsulisz

Reputations:
    Since my post last night, I've done 4 full calibration cycles without any change - 1 in Ubuntu 20 LTS, 2 in Windows, and 1 in the BIOS. The battery should've figured itself out by this point - the OS is just reading what the battery is reporting.

Regardless, I was sold a battery with 90%+ advertised life, the seller agreed this warrants a return and is taking it back. The seller confirmed they received an issue on another battery of this type to a similar degree, it was until I sent additional information on my return that they are now testing their inventory of these slice batteries. A new one is coming.

According to the Dell forums, it looks like this was an issue with the batteries, where if a single calibration cycle didn't solve the issue, it was the battery at fault.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    alexhawker likes this.
  9. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, I have plans to buy a Precision M4800. I love my M6700 and this big boi is doing a great job, but I want to feel this more "compact" version.

What I want to know is:

-Which is the best GPU available for it? I know it's a MXM 3.0a slot.
    -Which is the best VALUE for GPU available for it? WX 4150?
    -All Ultrasharp screens are eDP? I'm seeing some listings on ebay and, as expected, seller does not inform about that. My only lead is knowing that is a "Ultrasharp FHD Screen".
    -Does it have the thermal capability to hold a XM CPU (like i7 4940XM)?

Thank you.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. Quadro M2200
    3. 1080p displays may be LVDS or eDP. Higher-resolution screens are all eDP.
    4. Yes.

ssnova703 and alexhawker like this.