M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You are lucky, you have the 4K display, very hard to find those. I purchased a M4800 again just recently after selling my original years ago.

4940MX is the fastest CPU

32GB RAM (1600/1866/2133) should all work, although 1866Mhz should be enough, even 1600Mhz. Don't recommend spending a lot more going from 1600+ , just get the one that costs the least.

I don't think we can fit a 15mm drive, looks like 9.5mm might be the max. The caddy slides through the side port so we are limited by that as well.

(I assume best config is 1TB mSATA + 2TB HDD Primary + 2TB HDD Secondary)

As for GPU upgrade, looks like M2200 is the best proper working set-up. I am thinking myself of getting a M2200 as well. It should provide a very nice performance improvement over any of the official GPUs.

Bulwyf likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You can probably fit a 15mm drive but its not going to be pretty at all, I did it with my m4600 when I was desperate to my media back.

Bulwyf likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The optical drive fits in a 9.5mm slot so 9.5mm is the maximum height for a hard drive in either bay.

I tried to fit a 15 mm in the primary and secondary bays on my M6700 several years ago. (Western Digital sent me the wrong size as a warranty replacement...) It seemed just barely too large. Maybe with some creativity you could get it to fit.

2 TB is the current max for 2.5" 9.5mm hard drives. (This has been this way since I think late 2014. Not sure why they don't care about increasing capacity when 3.5" drives have continued to increase. Perceived lack of demand as the laptop world moves to flash, I guess.) You can get SSDs of the same physical size with higher capacity. I have a 4 TB in my M6700. Prices have come down a lot; three years ago when they were new such a drive would be around $1,600, but now you can get one for around $450.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    ssj92 likes this.
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah I got 15mm in under the keyboard, but had to remove the caddy and clear everything around it. Its not pretty and I wouldnt recommend it for anyone that actually intends to keep their machines for a long period of time. I was replacing the m4600 with my Ranger and wanted it for Plex while I was initially working on my Ranger.

5. Bulwyf

Bulwyf Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for your help! indeed this model it not easy to find, i got it a few years ago from someone who had ordered with this specs from Dell's website, and sold it to me for a ridiculous price ($300 bucks for it lol).

Correct me if i'm wrong but, as far as i know, the mSata SSD is not as fast as a regular SSD on the main storage bay, isn't it?

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    While doing many other things I get about 400MB/s transferring games to my OS drive which is an msata 860 1TB drive.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    With prior generations the mSATA port was SATA-2, so half as fast as SATA-3 primary bay. I think that M4800 and M6800 actually have SATA-3 for the mSATA drive slot, though...? You can check easily enough if you have a drive connected there, just open CrystalDiskInfo and see which speed it is running at.

As for the drive itself, there is no reason that a mSATA drive would be slower than a 2.5" drive. Most of the newer ones are just the same chips packaged up differently, and can easily saturate the SATA bus.

Bulwyf likes this.
  8. mytagz

mytagz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.
    I have a strange problem with my dell m4800, and i dont know how to solve it.
    Have FHD eDP IPS screen model: LP156WF6-SPB1, FHD eDP 30pin cable. Everything is original, I haven't changed anything.
    When i set in bios switchable graphics on, everything is fine and work with no problems. When i set switchable graphics off, got a black screen. In that case i connect external monitor to VGA (that work) and can see my desktop. And everything is working normaly, in device manager i see my AMD M5100 only (thats i want).
    After set switchable graphics on again - and the screen is on again. Can see intel hd 4600 and amd m5100 In device manager. And both works properly, without issues.
    After that, i switch M5100 with K2100m - same problem.
    And one more thing, windows says that my panel is: Digital Flat Panel (1024x768) - of course i can use FHD resolution.
    Did anyone have a idea how to solve this problem, i will be very grateful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Yuuji

Yuuji Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new on the forum, and I need some help figuring out some upgrade for my m4800 :
    I bought the base model i5 4330m HD LVDS AMD Firepro m5100 for very cheap (hence why I bought it)
    So I want to upgrade the screen to a FHD one, and if I stand correct I will need to change the LVDS cable too (the part number is 6G4XC I think). Can anyone provide me a part number for the LVDS FHD screen ?
    Also I've read that to use 4 slots of ram I need to have a quad core i7, but will it work on the i5 motherboard ? I've put the ram under the keyboard where the plastic cap was and it's working fine in a 2*8 configuration.
    Furthermore does the i5 motherboard supports i7 4810mq ? 'cause some m4800 seems to have issues with 4x10mq processors and I've spotted a very cheap 4810mq online.

Thanks in advance for the help (and sorry if my english is broken, that's because I'm french ^^)

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    There are only two variations of the motherboard: LVDS and eDP. Otherwise they are all the same and you can upgrade however you like, you just need to find the parts.
    The number of RAM slots that you can use is equal to the number of CPU cores, so you will need to find a four-core CPU to use four RAM slots.