M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is really easy.
    * Remove the laptop battery.
    * Remove the laptop bottom cover (two screws, slides back and off).
    * Remove the optical drive (one screw, slides out).
    * Remove the optical drive mounting bracket (two screws) -- this is on the back of the optical drive and will be pretty obvious when you get it out
    * Install the mounting bracket on the caddy, install your SSD in the caddy, and reverse the steps to install the caddy in the system.

For pictures of everything, you can find the M4800 manual PDF at support.dell.com, it describes how to remove and install all parts.

Kyle likes this.
  2. Mr_aamilo

Mr_aamilo Newbie

Reputations:
    I just picked up a used M4800 and it has the 0V5GVY motherboard and a UHD panel so you should be able to upgrade. I think the problem will be the parts needed. I have a slightly damaged panel with some areas of backlight bleed due to physical damage, so I have actually been looking to go the other way. UHD -> FHD Problem is that route doesn't seem any cheaper than getting a new UHD since I'll need to replace the panel, cable and cover. :(

John Carlson likes this.
  3. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What? really? can you show us a screenshot proof of 0V5GY running UHD?
    My 0V5GY M4800 came with an HD screen.. I never thought UHD upgrade will be possible on 0V5GY motherboard.
    and I'm unsure which UHD screen to purchase. Which one is your machine using?
    There are a lot of 15 inch UHD screens from all kinds of companies.

4. John Carlson

Reputations:
  5. Mr_aamilo

Mr_aamilo Newbie

Reputations:
    I don’t have a screen shot showing both right now and don’t have the laptop with me to get one. I have a few pictures that I took when I was researching, but I am having issues posting them. I’ll have to upload them somewhere and try again.

I used HWiNFO64 to get the motherboard number and then physically looked at the rest. The parts are as follows:
    Motherboard: DELL 0V5GVY
    [​IMG]

Panel: D P/N 071YHK (Sharp LQ156D1JW02)
    [​IMG]

Cable: VAQ10 EDP UHD CABLE
    DC02C009O00 REV. 1.0(A00)
    SIMYA (BS1) 2014/12/15
    [​IMG]

Cover:
    D P/N A146J2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bezel: D P/N 0G2G1W
    [​IMG]

Hope these can help.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    John Carlson likes this.
  6. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  7. Mr_aamilo

Mr_aamilo Newbie

Reputations:
    I just added the pictures I had above. The cable you listed is a little different then mine but I think it should work as I think the QHD+ & UHD panels use the same hardware other than the panel. One other thing that you will need is the cover or frame. If I am not mistaken the FHD panel mounts with tabs at the top and bottom while the QHD+ & UHD panels mount with tabs on the left and right. I thought I had a picture of that but don't. If you look them up on Panelook.com or eBay you should see what I mean.

John Carlson likes this.
  8. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Yes, thanks for more info! My M4800 came with an HD panel from 2016. It has screws on left and right sides. But you're right. FHD panel has screws on top and bottom. ;)

So my M4800 can be upgraded to the latest spec: 4k screen. 4940MX CPU, 32GB HyperX 2133mHz RAMs, etc.
    I will try this upgrade soon. I was almost giving up on 4k M4800 because 4k WNW0H motherboard sells for over $200. it used to be cheaper but not anymore.

Some sellers were asking $299 for 4k m4800 motherboard:
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=17173

9. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My M4800 is getting quite old now, and the hinges are starting to wobble badly. Has anyone successfully tightened up the hinges on their M4800? I've already checked the screws in the display assembly and chassis, so the wobble is coming from the hinge mechanism.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just outright replaced the hinges in my M6700 a couple of weeks ago. A new panel assembly (without the panel) with hinges was around $20.

alexhawker likes this.