M390X in the M15x watch this space!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by King of Interns, Jun 25, 2018.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I read on these forums that someone had flashed the m390x vbios to this GPU but it did not allow for overclocking.

Its likely that a vBIOS mod is needed to get those features.

2. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    First install yes. Now not even post. I will at some point take it out. Dont have a 2nd machine to test it. Also there wasnt gap over core but rather vram and possibly vrms. Still that should not cause no post for a short test.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

3. King of Interns

Reputations:
    I have a big problem. I took the W7170M out and carefully reistalled the 5850M. It worked but the laptop would shut off about 30 secs after switching. Didnt matter if I entered bios and waited or whether I started loading windows.

I then opened up the cpu and cleaned off the liquid compound I was using and replaced with thermal compound.

Now the machine switches on (lights, fans) but no screen and not even POST. There are not even any post fault flashing codes on the led strip. Just nada. All I can do is just switch it off again.

I have tried reseating cmos, power drains, start with battery only, start without battery, starting with only 1 stick of ram (tested in both slots with both modules).

I dont know what else to do. Usually a hardware fault is depicted by flashing leds on the led strip but these do not light up and the machine does not boot windows.

Really strange.....most likely is the cpu or mobo. I have a spare mobo so I guess I had better get to work....

The question is do I try the W7170M again with the other mobo or not....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you try reinserting the display cable? Had that issue on my M17X R2 once when it wasn't in properly.

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Sad to hear that you got all of these issues. You said that your CPU is on its way out though. Do you have a spare one?

King of Interns and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Yup I already tried that too. I will tear this down tomorrow night and replace the mobo. This will identify whether the cpu is the culprit or not. Just a PITA to do. No spare cpu lying about either sadly.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a shame, the board in my M17X is on its way out too (the main reason i replaced it). I suppose they just get more fragile as they age. Hopefully you can get the GPU working with the new one.

King of Interns likes this.
  8. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Sad thing is the board is my old one and it has seen at least 5 years of use ;)

Regarding W7170M I dont think it will work. The mobo only started acting up today when I put the 5850M back in. Issues with W7170M were on 1st install: booting with black screen (no post error codes and could see disk light flashing so it was loading windows) and on 2nd install post error code pointing to gpu stopping post. It is weird though that even that was not consistant as if the mobo was perhaps to blame. If I can get the machine back on its legs I will venture to install it a final time

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Arrrrbol and triturbo like this.
  9. King of Interns

Reputations:
    So time for an update. Had time to tear down and replace mobo. My findings are that the mobo did indeed die as the machine works again....however once I reinstall drivers for the 5850 and restart after windows loads I get black screen. So it means I have also partially fried the 5850 (only runs well in 2D mode)

For s**ts and giggles I tried the W7170M a final time. I get as expected flashing leds signifying no post because of GPU.

So all in all this has been a big failure. Killed a mobo and 2 gpu's for nought .... :(

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to hear it, turned out to be a very expensive project. I have a 5850M I can send you for cheap if need be, or if you want something a little stronger, a 680M

triturbo and Arrrrbol like this.