M390X in the M15x watch this space!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by King of Interns, Jun 25, 2018.

1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys (and the occasional girl). I just pulled the trigger on a M390X for 250 dollars including customs and shipping. Should get to me by mid July. Watch this space...

Final card to test on this machine. Looking forward to it. Some specs as follows:

• It is a refurb/2nd hard card
    • It is probably actually a firepro W7170
    • It is a Dell card
    • 4GB of vram (nothing on the back which is better for M15x cooling)
    • This card is basically an underclocked better binned M295X (2048 shaders, 1250mhz memory, 723mhz core (M295X is 850 MHz)
    I will see if this thing firstly works. Then look at flashing to a functional M390X vbios if such a thing exists in case I have issues using recent drivers/overclocking.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't see why it wouldn't work. I was thinking of trying one in my M17X R2, but I decided to buy a P870DM-G instead. I know for sure that the guys on the HP Elitebook 8740W thread got one working in there, and that is of a similar age.

King of Interns likes this.
  3. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Yes my good friend of many years Triturbo is very certain the card supports LVDS which makes it the final viable card for the M15x (970M aside). IMHO the 880M, 980M and M295X were all too hot to run well.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I look forward to hearing if it works. That machine deserves one last hurrah before you stop working on it - those old Alienwares are built like tanks. The main thing that holds them back is the CPU though, unfortunately, which is the main reason I decided to buy a P870 rather than fully repair my R2. Still plan on sorting it out one day though.

5. King of Interns

Reputations:
    I won't stop using it for quite some time. Modern machines break easily while the M15x is a capable multimedia machine for a few years yet. Yes the CPU does hold it back although ironically at the time of its release the CPU was really overpowered. It is a shame we cannot upgrade to a sandy bridge as these were decently better. 10-15% IPC improvements and clock for clock improvements plus the fact that it is possible to run a sandy XM at 1 ghz faster heavy OC vs heavy OC.

I lost my faith in Nvidia so although 970M is the better card technically I firmly believe that in time the M390X will be the best card for the older LVDS machines. The reason being AMD don't give up on their old cards so quickly and thus engineer their drivers to get every ounce of performance out even years later. The challenge though will be to convert my card to a M390X. Let's see if that is feasible or needed.

Regarding the R2 I like it. You have the ability to overvolt the XM chip from the system bios which is neat while you could put a single powerful card in and use the open slot for additional cooling for the CPU/GPU. That would be a pretty cool mod...

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Strigae

Strigae Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It does sound very interesting with AMD on board. Hope it will work out for you

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If it's a firepro W7170M, why convert it to a M390X? Don't they have the exact same specs?

8. King of Interns

Reputations:
    More on the drivers/overclocking front. I wont try to flash it to 390x vbios unless I face issues.

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Sounds good, definitely give the firepro drivers a try first and see. I know on nVidia cards the Quadro performance driver includes the same performance as the geforce drivers for gaming.

10. King of Interns

Reputations: