M18xR2 single GTX 880m installtion help, Cant get it working

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by qamar198, Feb 15, 2018.

1. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't exactly remember but wasn't there a problem with 8970M and EC fan control?

2. qamar198

qamar198 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I finally got a 6970m 2gb last week (pulled from some HP laptop according to the guy), tested it on Sunday ,it kind of works.
    Also tried another 880m from another MSI GT70, didn't work :(

Now the 6970m I have is in primary slot, Bios set to SG mode, GPU detected fine in Bios as well as windows
    Drivers also installed without any issues
    But the GPU is overheating like crazy just launching GTA V takes it to 100+ centigrade INSTANTLY, and it stays between 100 to 102~103 C, with tons of throttling.
    GPU Z shows shader clock as N/A, and synthetic loading using GPU Z's built in test does the same to GPU temperatures (immediately shoots to 102~103)
    Idle Temps are 60~65 for the GPU, under 50 for the CPU
    Load Temps for CPU are around 75

Could the GPU be faulty ??? (although it runs GTA V fine apart from the stutter due to heavy throttling

The GPU is in slot 1 (primary ), tried it in slot 2 (as there is a fan directly under it, so I thought that'd improve Temps) but of course it didn't work ,
    The fans test in Dell Diagnostics was OK, but I don't feel that they're running at full speed in windows, (all Dell drivers are installed, I don't see anything in device manager without drivers, Is there another utility or driver necessary for the Fans to work properly ??

One last thing,
    The GPUs and Heatsink in the M18x were with thermal pads, I can't find any thermal pads locally (only option is to import from Aliexpress, wait for upto 15 days) so I peeled them off of my old 7970m for use with 6970m (they're kinda not in ideal condition)
    Can I remove the pad on the GPU die and use thermal paste instead ?? (will it fill the gaps as I understand pads are used when the gaps between heatsink and die is significant)
    I've got Arctic Silver Ceramique II, can I use that?
    And any chance at all to run the card in secondary slot !? (I am using Unlocked Bios)

3. ll_r1d0_ll

ll_r1d0_ll Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    woaahhhhhh? did u just say thermal pad on GPU DIE? dude u always have to use THERMAL PASTE on GPU DIE ..never ever use thermal pad on it ..thats the issue which is causing ur GPU to heat up that much ... old thermal pads will work fine on the VRAMs but use a good thermal paste on GPU DIE.. i would suggest GELID GC EXTREME ...

4. qamar198

Reputations:
    Actually both the 7970ms that were in the laptop previously had thermal pads on them, not paste ...
    I thought this must be one of those cases where the gap between Die and Heatsink is too much for paste.
    I just reused the pads from the 7970m on the 6970m

Are you certain that the 7970m setup in m18x uses thermal paste, not thermal pads??? (as this is a reconditioned laptop, I've seen many refurbished laptops with idiotic pasting jobs. The pads on the heatsink for VRAMS were also stuck on it, thermal paste + thermal pad on top of it)

If m18x with 7970m and AMD heatsink is originally supposed to be installed with thermal paste on die, not pad.
    Then......... Did that kill my 7970s originally??

5. Charger67RT

Charger67RT Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you put thermal pad on gpu chip?That will kill your gpu and can be reason of 7970 death.

Papusan likes this.
  6. qamar198

Reputations:
    No I didn't do it
    My m18x came with thermal pads on GPU die of both 7970s
    So when installing the 6970m,i reused the thermal pad from 7970 and put it on the 6970m

7. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thats strange..

Even if it was the grey colored pads those where only decent for GPU's up to 35Watts TDP, anything above that and running at 80ºC is a guarantee, if the heatsink doesn't touch the die, buy a bag of varied sizes cooper shims and shim it, because your GPU will run way too hot.

Papusan likes this.
  8. qamar198

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find out if m18x with AMD GPUs come with thermal pads or paste originally, '
    I'll try putting on some paste when I'm home and see if the situation improves
    Can anybody tell me a utility to manually control the fans on the m18xR2?
    @senso, I doubt I'll be able to find any shims locally :(
    Especially in the computer market here.

9. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Put a tiny bead of paste, fasten the heatsink, remove the heatsink and see if there is good contact, better yet, take a photo of the result and post here before putting it all back together so we can help you confirm if its OK or not to run without the pad.

Judging from @Mr. Fox video:

It doesn't use any thermal pads on the GPU dies.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. qamar198

Reputations:
    Thank you,
    I guess this also explains why the pair of 7970m died
    I'll try to do it tonight and get back with the results.
    Hope it works because it took me 3 months to find a GPU locally :).

Papusan likes this.
  11. qamar198

Reputations:
    So I removed the thermal pad from the GPU Die and put some Arctic Silver Ceramique II on it,
    Firstly, Yes thermal paste is the actual requirement here not thermal pad. My laptop was refurbished and apparently the guy who was assembling it didn't know that and he just put thermal pads on it, and that killed my pair of 7970s

The idle Temps were definitely improved around 48C on average on regular system usage.
    But the load Temps on GTA V and GPU Z synthetic load were 100+ again, though it did take more time than before to gradually go from idle 48 to 101~102 than before.
    But GPU didn't drop below 100 after that, tons of throttling too.
    The contact between the heatsink and GPU was good, I removed the heatsink and checked it, it was covered evenly by thermal paste from the GPU.
    But it only improved the idle Temps, and gave me a couple mins before going to 100c+ under load.
    The guy who sold me the 6970m sent me a part number of another GPU he pulled out from some Japanese brand dead gaming laptop ,I Googled it and fount out its a 2gb gtx 675m
    So I'm gonna give that a try now.

Thanks for the help in clearing up the thermal pad/thermal paste confusion :)
    I'll report back when I've checked the gtx 675m hopefully with better results :)

12. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    good chance you 675M is already dead lol, they were terrible unreliable cards worse than the 7970M by far.