M18xR2 single GTX 880m installtion help, Cant get it working

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by qamar198, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charger67RT

Charger67RT Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, you can use any laptop with mxm slot.I have AW 18 R1 with one 970m.Before it was clevo .Also my old 765m was flashed to clevo vbios and successfuly installed to msi gt680 laptop.But any way
    your laptop must run with 880 even with clevo vbios.
    P.S. If your AW have unlocked bios just try to put it in SG mode:both Intel HD and 880 msut be discoverable.If 880 works fine in another laptop it is not good sign for your AW.

qamar198 likes this.
  2. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That means the second card has probably bad further memory regions. I got the same result with piece of dying **** called 6990M

If BIOS can't see it then it's either bad connection or bad card. I think BIOS should see it even with very wrong vBIOS but im not sure, @woodzstack may know though.

Im using Dell vBIOS. You can flash it without laptop using hardware flasher by yourself or go to the shop where they can do it for you. You can get last Dell vBIOS from my signature.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    qamar198 likes this.
  3. qamar198

qamar198 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Heyy guys,
    thanks for all the help, i spent last 2 days in market searching for another GPU. but problem is where i live (Karachi, Pakistan), half of the market doesn't even know if some laptops have replaceable GPU. the other half doesn't have a single clue about the MXM type or they will just argue that a 2gb Quadro 2000m (which was abundantly available, comes from many dead Dell m4600s and m6600s) will be as good as the 7970m since it was also 2gb -_-. This is a market that deals in systems that are refurbished, resold, repaired,resold and then imported here to be sold again :(. and i can't afford importing a 780m or a 970m since it would cost me around $450+, the m18xR2 i have was bought for an equivalent of around $600.

right now this 880m is the only option i have, i did check many threads here and on other sites, and i did see that people were having trouble with 880m in AW m18xR2 but some of them also seem to get them working okay just by flashing unlocked Bios.

unfortunately while prying open the cover of my Clevo the screwdriver slipped and hit a capacitor, pulling it out of the mobo so haven't gotten around to flashing the Dell vBios on 880m yet..i will try the SG thing though.

@GodlikeRU trust me brother, as soon as i mention flashing a BIOS on a GPU to any shop here, they will start looking at me like i am some alien :). i have to argue with these people to explain that they are not selling an OCTACORE laptop, its a QuadCore with hyperthreading -_-. i gotta find some way to fix this with what i have at home :).

thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. i will flash the vBios (and also confirm that 880m i have is still working and didn't die while installing into the AW), and also thinking of pulling out the AMD Firerpro m6100 from my Dell precision M6600 and see if the AW sees it in bios.
    that way, we'll be able to rule out bad 880m or bad mobo. (though i put n the 7970m again and mobo detected it fine.)

4. ll_r1d0_ll

ll_r1d0_ll Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well i do live in the same country(Pakistan) but different city (Lahore) ... if you have any plans of visiting Lahore or if u have any friend there send him the card along with heatsink .. i will check it for you in my M17x R4 :) .. and secondly where did you get the 880m from ? :D i hardly and luckily got 780m from here xD

5. qamar198

Reputations:
    Nice to meet you brother :)
    That 880m was pulled from a MSI GT70, you were quite lucky to find that 780m believe me. I can't even get a decent 2gb GPU, been searching for over 2 months now.
    I could not get that 880m working in AW m18x, so I gave it back :(

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have 4GB 8970M crossfire cards that work fine (tested in my M18x R2) if you want to buy those...very good quality cards, high ASIC. I have flashed undervolted vBIOS to them to keep them cooler and extend life (0.975V vs stock 1.0250V)

7. ll_r1d0_ll

Reputations:
    aah thats sad ... btw did you get that card from a local market or from a friend? im willing to test it in my laptop :p PM me your contact numbver so we can talk there in detail

8. qamar198

Reputations:
    That's great to know, I can't view your profile page but I'm gonna assume you are also from Pakistan, and I hope we can arrange something.
    Seems like I currently don't have the privileges to PM anybody
    I might need to wait for the system to register my messages to complete the required count for the privileges.

I will PM you both as soon as I can, or if a PM from you could do the trick please do send me one and I'll reply ASAP.
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help ☺️

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Not from Pakistan, from USA, but shipping to Pakistan is possible.

10. ll_r1d0_ll

Reputations:
    Check PM !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.