M18xR2 single GTX 880m installtion help, Cant get it working

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by qamar198, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qamar198

qamar198 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys:),

i have been a silent reader of NotebookReview forums for quite a while now, and always found it helpful. Today i decided to finally signup because i am having trouble getting a GTX 880m working in a M18xR2. it's a refurbished M18xR2.
    i have tried digging through many forums but either they already have the 880m installed and need only advice in installing the Nvidia Driver, or they are talking about throttling issues. And over half of the relevant threads end up with the buyer opting for 780m/970m/980m instead (which is not an option for me). Been looking for a procedure to install the 880m i have in my M18xR2 but can't find that.

The Problem
    The default system config was M18xR2 with 3610qm and 7970m CF with Stock A11 Bios,
    12Gb ram and a 1080p panel.

the dual 7970m died (Yes, both at the same time), tried reflow, didn't work.
    i got a 8Gb GTX 880m pulled out from an MSI GT70 Dominator Pro and i saw various online websites selling GTX 880m with "for Alienware/Clevo/MSI" in titles so i figured it should work.

What i tried so far
    >> Firstly, simply removing the dual 7970m, rebooting the system to see if it worked fine on IGFX, it worked.
    >> Installed the GTX 880m i had, the heat sink fit perfectly (almost). Installed the GPU in the Left Slot as i understand its Slot 1 (looking at the laptop with laptop in upright position)
    >> Booted it, booted fine into windows until i realized it didnt detect my 880m and was running on Intel GPU.
    >> Booted into Bios, is said "NOT DETECTED" on both GPU slots. so bios didnt see my GPU.
    >> Went Online, found out i had to use the Unlocked Bios for GPU Upgrade.
    >> Removed 880m. Laptop is now without GPU at this stage.

>> Flashed the A11 Unlocked Bios (Swick's Mod), Disabled "CPU NO FLEX SUPPORT".
    >> Installed the 880m again, Booted machine.
    >> Greeted with 8 Beeps and a Blank Display
    >> Removed 880m, went into bios, the default GPU was set to "PEG", so switched it to "IGFX". Booted once to check if system is ok now, got to the windows screen then a crash which was ok since i figured i'd be installing OS again anyways.
    >> Installed 880m again (default GPU in Bios is still "IGFX")enabled UEFI and went onto installing OS.
    >> OS Installed finished, tried installing Nvidia Drivers, got an error "Hardware not Found".
    >> Went back into bios, it says "NOT DETECTED" on both GPU slots, so my 880m is still invisible to the Bios.

Current state of the system
    >> Bios is A11 Unlocked by Swick
    >> 880m is installed in slot 1 (left one while looking at the laptop in upright position).
    >> Bios cant see 880m, both slots shown as empty
    >> Windows says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", which i am guessing is the Intel GFX since bios has been set to "IGFX" as default display device and 880m is not even detected.

TLDR, OR My Question Simply
    >> i have an M18xR2, with unlocked A11 bios, want to install a 8gb GTX 880m (pulled from an MSI GT70).
    >> Bios cant see my 880m
    >> Laptop only gives display if i set it to "IGFX" as default display device, set it to "PEG" and i get 8 Beeps.
    >> Kindly if anybody here reading this has successfully upgraded a M18xR2 from 7970m CF to a GTX880m, guide me please.

Any help is greatly appreciated as its been over 5 days since i have been trying to get it done, this machine is also a pain to disassemble and reassemble again and again -_-..

Best Regards and thanks in advance.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I think I might have bad news for you.

Please install the 880M into the MSI system again and see if it still works. I have the suspect you might have killed the card.

3. qamar198

Reputations:
    hello @Danishblunt and thanks for the prompt reply,

well the reason i pulled the 880m from MSI was that the EC on MSI GT70 got messed up so its not detecting the GPU or the MSI Keyboard lighting features etc.
    i did test the 880m in a Clevo i have before i installed it into the M18xR2 , and it works fine.
    so the card is okay i suppose.

did i do the upgrade things right??. i mean besides flashing the unlocked bios and other stuff i have mentioned in my post, was i supposed to do anything else?

Also,
    i will take your advice and test the 880m in my clevo again, just to be sure. i dont see how it could have died just during installing into the Alienware but never hurts to check :).
    Thanks again for the help i appreciate it :).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. Charger67RT

Charger67RT Newbie

Reputations:
    qamar198,may be you should flash dell vbios to gtx 880?

5. qamar198

Reputations:
    Hello there and thanks for the reply

Can you point me towards some sort of guide on how to do that??
    Also,
    How do I flash the vbios if the GPU wont show up in the bios or Windows at all?

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Did you test on your clevo yet?

Also there is no way.

7. Charger67RT

Charger67RT Newbie

Reputations:
    You can flash it by another laptop.Any way you better check your old 7970 on another laptop also because your alienware motherboard can be damaged.

8. qamar198

Reputations:
    Well one of the screws on the back cover of my Clevo is stuck (stripped), i couldn't do it. I am working on getting it open though.

The 7970s are damaged for sure, its not the mobo. Here is why i think that,

> mobo registers the 7970s immediately if i install them (sinlge or CF)
    > in case of CF, i get a black screen when trying to install AMD drivers. Also happens if i only use the 7970m that was working in slot 2 prior to failure.
    > in case of single GPU, one of the GPU works for a few hours (regular usage), or for a few minutes (under load), then it starts to show discoloration and garbage. Video Driver crashes. Tried to get it reflowed, but that only prolonged the time to failure a bit.

I have one more option though until i test the 880m in my Clevo,
    I got a Dell M6600 with AMD Firepro M6100 (Radeon 8950m), its almost the same fit with the heatsink as the 7970m,
    Anybody have any idea if that would work??
    Though I really want to get the 880m working.

And,
    If the 880m works in Clevo, can I flash it with Dell Vbios once it has booted into windows in Clevo??

@Charger67RT just confirming if that's what you meant by any laptop, it doesn't need to be a dell laptop??

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Even without Dell vBIOS the card should run normally. The thing is that when a BIOS can't recognize a card, then that's always a very terrible sign.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The problem is AW M18xR2 don't play well with Gtx880m. Take look into the AW sub threads. Maybe @Mr. Fox @Raidriar @GodlikeRU have some advices.

qamar198 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.