M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ex.treme

ex.treme Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, thank you MS :)
    After that is not reason take Win7 ( even if i like Win7 ultimate)

2. AlienMike818

AlienMike818 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apparently they are stepping back from the Metro interface and giving in to overwhelming popular demand for the return of a useable interface that doesn't force such barbaric changes on the user like metro and the "App" look of anything you run which I absolutely hated. I also was not too happy with the touch oriented, lopsided, advertising laden start screen. The Win8 code is supposed to be solid as many of our members can attest to so I will be game to try it again after the makeover. I give Microsoft credit for at least admitting the issues and addressing them because most of us are stuck with it, at least until Linux runs the world.. :)

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'll probably give it whirl again too......gotta move with the times, but when it's god awful to look at, it's hard to break away from old habits.

4. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    Meh.. I actually got used to it and like it.

I don't even miss the start menu anymore :eek:!

Anyway, good to see Microsoft listened instead of just forcing everyone to get used to the new interface.

5. AlienMike818

Reputations:
    Hopefully they will keep the aspects of it that are in fact wanted, here is an article from WSJ about it:

Microsoft Concedes Windows 8 Misses Expectations - WSJ.com

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I heard the new start button just takes you to the metro screen.

7. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Surely they wouldnt be that dumb lol :p

8. AlienMike818

Reputations:
    LOL, having spent more than my fair share of time @ the Redmond Campus, I can say with confidence that yes they can, in fact, be that dumb, but lets hope not. I have one machine with 8 on it for testing when they do release an update, but I will be waiting for larger adoption of a broader consumer base before I go anywhere near it. If I cannot disable, remove or make it as I want it to look and feel, I will continue to stay with what actually works well for me.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Now that I have it beaten into submission and all of the new Windows 8 "features" have been emasculated, I really love Windows 8. It's a great OS once all the layers of stupid are stripped away.

10. steviejones133

Reputations:
    You've obviously worked hard at getting Windows 8 to the way you like it, which is a great thing. My only problem with that kind of approach is the requirement to do all of that in the first instance to make it like that. I know we all tweak things, so maybe that's part of the fun/challenge, but when we are talking about OS's, they should be as user friendly and easy to work with as possible - afterall, they are the engine behind all our machines.

Just like I wouldn't be happy having to strip down a brand new car engine to get it running right, I feel the same about Windows 8. I don't mind doing some stuff to make it more pleasing to work with, but having to beat it into submission (that made me laugh!) is not worth wasting my time on doing - especially when Windows 7 works well, suits my needs, looks good and doesn't require bashing to death to enjoy :p

I am prepared to give it another stab - if it doesn't play nice, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to stab it to death. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.