M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As above, but regarding the weight of the M18x, to give you a rough idea, it's about twice as heavy as a 15" MacBook Pro - M18x weight starts out at 11.93lbs compared to the weight of the Apple at 5.6lbs. Of course, depending on how you configure the M18x, it will add weight to it - nothing hugely significant in my eyes, but things like adding more hard drives and going for dual gpu's over a single are going to push the weight up a little bit more.

Put it this way, you certainly know you've got an M18x on your lap, but I kinda like that. Yes, it's heavy for a notebook when you compare it to others, but I wouldn't consider it being a burden of any variety - I'd rather have it being sturdy and built like it can withstand a knock - unlike lightweight crappy ultrabooks and lesser notebooks of the same ilk.

2. hoofhearted

hoofhearted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am looking at getting a new laptop. I currently own an m18x r1 i7-2720qm with xf 6970 and it has been great for me. I will probably end up giving this to my daughter.

(1) m18x r2: main options I will add at config time are:
    3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3940XM Extreme Edition (OVERCLOCKED to 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache, 55W Max TDP) + [3rd Heatseink & IC Diamond]
    Alienware - SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 2048MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 680M's (4096MB Total) w/ GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards
    Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual Band)

(2) sager np9570: main options I waill add at config time are:
    17.3" Sager FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen w/ 90% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080)
    Intel® Core™ i7-3970X Extreme, 3.5-4.0GHz (32nm, 15MB L3 smart cache - 6 cores / 12 threads)
    SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 4096MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 680M's (8192MB Total) w/ GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards {Add AC Adapter & Power Converter Box] [User Upgradeable]
    Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual Band)

I really like the aluminum case on the Alienware. Also the build feels really solid. Is this the case with Sager? Would there be a really bug performance delta in favor of the Sager?

Are there any other options worth adding?
    I will do my harddrives and RAM aftermarket (newegg) (I may do the optical drive bay with a HD since that is a PITA to do yourself on the Alienware, not sure how this is on the sager)

Games I am currently playing: SC2 HOTS, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Crysis 3

Is there any advantage to buying from Dell? (Dell charges sales tax where xotic does not)

3. Radi324

Radi324 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey hoof-hearted. Sager's build is mainly plastic, unlike that of Alienware. Also, as far as I know, Sager's BIOS is locked/severely limited, while Alienware's isnt. While Sager's processor may be nippier at stock levels, an unlocked 3940-XM processor has more legroom in terms of overclocking. Feel free to correct me on this issue guys

Dell simply offers top-notch warranty options. While its customer service may not be the best at time (from personal experience, if you get in touch with a mediocre rep, just hang up and try again - you're bound to meet a competent rep at some point), warranties are always respected and upheld, and it's easy to obtain an upgraded warranty at any post-purchase period directly from Dell. XoticPC is a reputable retailer and I've heard mostly positive things about it, but there are always those perks when dealing directly with Dell. Also, I'm pretty sure that you could always badger a sales rep a bit about the price - being an M18x R1 owner will surely help to lean the price towards your favour, and watch out for the regular offers on the AW website!

In my opinion, stick with this old saying - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So stick to your guns and remain with the M18x family :)

4. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Again, I agree with Radi.

The AW is the better machine for the reasons outlined. Warranty, build quality, aesthetics etc. The only tempting thing about the Sager would be the Desktop cpu, however, if it's limited in bios, what's the point?

5. hoofhearted

hoofhearted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed and sold on Alienware. Still can't hurt to see what the competition is offereing. I have been through several Alienwares anyway (m17xr1, m17xr2, m18x, m14x, m11x) and those are the ones I have kept (given to wife, kids, etc) whereas I have also had sagers and asus in the past and those have always failed after time in one way or another.

Now, I am contemplating on where I should get it from. The fact that I can get the options I want: (i7-3940XM EE OC, 2xGTX680m) for $4159 +$54 shipping from xotic, plus they offer a discount for cash. Not sure if I want to go the cash route as you seem to loose your consumer protection (60 days to reverse and fight with a credit card). Maybe there are options to mitigate this? I mean if there was a rep on here (don't much care for communicating by phone unless I have a definite and specific person to talk to) who might be able to match what xotic does including my bottom line (read: sales tax), I would probably rather go with Dell, but when I added my options on Dell site, the total came to $4,544.66 ($4179 + $365.66 stax), so I don't see this happening.

6. Radi324

Radi324 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try contacting our resident AW rep Luis Porras. I'm sure he can point you to the right consumer reps and maybe cut down the price to something which is closer to what Xotic is offering, or perhaps include a free upgraded warranty or something

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, if you don't try it certainly will not happen. I know of more than one person here in our forums that negotiated roughly 25% (yes, around $1,000) discount on a brand new M18x R2 when negotiating with an Alienware Sales rep directly by phone. So, it can happen if the rep wants to make the sale at a lower profit margin. Some people in sales are greedy and/or don't understand how to be successful, so they try to make the most money possible on each transaction. The most successful people in sales understand that there is more money to be made on higher volume with less profit per sale. They also develop a following and foster brand loyalty because of the great deals they give people.

8. steviejones133

Reputations:
  9. TurdFurgeson

TurdFurgeson Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to chime in about negotiating price and let you know it's possible...

I just purchased my m18x r2 last week and configured on Dell's site it came out to ~$2800. I managed to negotiate about 20% off of that with a few things thrown in. Took a few days of trying different reps and sales managers, but one finally gave me the price I wanted. It definitely took some haggling (used some of the tips listed in a thread in the forum), but worth it in the end. I would imagine with the $ that you're willing to throw down, they will probably work with you. Just waiting for the damn thing to be built now. ;-) Good luck, and keep re-dialing until you get a rep that wants to play ball.

10. st_7

st_7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Heads up for your detailed reply Mr.Fox(and for others too). I would like to ask one more question not exactly about M18x R2 but in general to laptops. When will be the 4th generation of Intel processors will be available in the market?, will they be available with desktop processors in June or from October as many reports suggest?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.