M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seleucus

Seleucus Newbie

Reputations:
    Making a laptop for gaming and quickbooks. Should I be going with 16 gb of ram or 8 gb of ram?

2. Radi324

Radi324 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    8 GB of RAM are more than enough for your purposes

Edit - these spam bots get me all the time grrrrr

3. tychormthorp

tychormthorp Newbie

Reputations:
    So, I'm planning on getting an m18x R2! I've read the reviews, and I basically know the capabilities of this thing. What I'm wondering is, is it worth the extra $1000 USD to shoot for the 680m sli, or can I just stick with the 7970m setup? I frequent games like battlefield 3, planetside 2, etc. Will either of these gpu options run planetside 2 on ultra with smooth framerates? How's the witcher 2 with either setup? :p

4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Both set ups will eat those games.
    7970 vs 680?
    Its hard for me to say go either way. Most people here will say if you can afford 680m sli go for it since they have a better track record in reliability and their OCing ability is far superior, and also PhysX. Hence that extra touch of quality and piece of mind is worth it. Many of the early adopters of the 7970m had issues and consequently and understandably, won't recommend a CF config.
    Unlike many users here, my 7970m's have been flawless (except for the early driver support). I only feel disappointed when benching against OCed 680m's.
    Personally, I feel PhysX isnt in games enough to give two hoots, but a enthusiast who will wring out every ounce from their GPU's through the inevitable OC... That in my opinion is where the 680m's value at. And this is where the 680 really distinguishes itself as superior GPU.
    I didn't think it was an extra $1000 though..?

5. Seleucus

Seleucus Newbie

Reputations:
    It is an extra 500 dollars compared to 7970 crossfired. 1000 more than the base gpu.

I have heard of some framerate sync issues with the 7970's but maybe that has been fixed?

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I can't say I've ever had any frame sync issues.
    I've had micro stutter on 2 games - Farcry 3 and Arma 2 which may not be exclusive to CF.
    $500 over 7970m is worth it. $1000 I personally wouldn't.

7. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I get micro stutter on fallout news vega, far cry3, sky rim, and I don't have amd card!?

8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yep, in any event micro stutter is kinda rare. I think it has more to do with the game than the gpu brand.

9. st_7

st_7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been follower of this website & forums for quite some time(I just read the threads as a guest & leave), now time has come for me to put up my first post. I'm not that much into gaming as of now & never held any serious gaming rigs leave alone Alienware laptops. That's my little bit background.

Now I'm thinking of purchasing this Alienware M18x, first I thought of buying m17x but later decided to go for M18x so that I can hold on to some thing which stays relatively relative(lol :D) for, say, two years. I'll be running virtual machines & would like to run Linux(is a must) on the laptop apart from gaming. But I got stuck on couple of things before I pull the trigger.

1) Is 18" alienware that much heavy to even move it from one room to other & very few times while going out(Note: I'm any how looking for 17" not that much interested in 15")?, and how is the screen quality?, do we find any decrease in the screen quality(overall) going from 17" to 18"?, given that both are 1080p which makes less pixels in 18".

2) What all the fuss about this 7970m Crossfire vs 680m sli thing?, is that radeon 7970m crossfire still sucks that much(I've read few threads & reviews some say almost all the glitches are taken care of by AMD by releasing drivers continuously and some say it's still really bad). I'm ok with little bit tinkering & playing around, although I don't say I'm the one who always holds soldering rod in hand ready every time before turning on the system. I don't want to spend extra $550 for nvidia sli than what I've already decided to spend with crossfire, unless there is no choice.

3) I've heard negative remarks on the dual graphic card set up, like dropping frames due to parallel computing, heat issues, not being able switch off the graphic cards & use integrated graphics or switch between two configurations seamlessly. Is that true? Is it best to go with a single card configuration?. I'm only considering dual graphics set up so that my system stays relatively powerful in the next two years time & I don't want to spend that much money again for an upgrade(graphics) at a later point of time. And given the location where I live in(India), it's hard to get any components, leave alone costly upgrades.

I've few more queries, I'll ask about them later as I want to help myself to keep this post as short as possible.

Thanks In advance.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hello, and welcome to the NBR Forums. We are glad you joined us. Congratulations on the idea of purchasing an M18x. I consider it the best high performance laptop available. In build quality, performance and pricing it has no match anywhere. I will answer your questions based on my view points. I started with an XPS M1730, have had two M17x R2 (M18x predecessor) and still have one of them. This is my third M18x. All were dual-GPU beasts and all are built like a tank. I have had 8800M SLI, 4870M CF, 5870M CF, 6970M CF, 6990M CF, 580M SLI, 7970M CF and 680M SLI in these machines. My answers are in bold red text below.
    I am sure you will see some opinions that differ slightly, so you'll have to ultimately decide what advice you want to take. If you decide to go with the anodized aluminum M18x beast with CF or SLI, you'll have an incredibly well built and extremely powerful system... the envy of gamers everywhere, including those that refuse to admit it, and a laptop that outperforms many "high performance" desktops. (I have benchmark scores on multiple leader boards that are higher than many desktops equipped with current CPU and GPU technology.) I hope this information is useful. And, again, welcome to NBR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.