M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just curious, but why are you buying a top-of-the-line R2 when you already have a spectacular, powerful and top-of-the-line R1? How much faster can you go? ;)

2. ChrisLangan

ChrisLangan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know any coupon codes other than the ones listed on the website?

Where could I find that coupon that gives 5% off?

3. tanderson

tanderson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Addiction to technology. Been wanting to get a warranty for quite some time and it's spendy to get one after you purchase a laptop. So for the price of the warranty, couple hundred more, I could get a new top of the line minus what I sell the current one for. If that makes sense.... figure while I have a decent warranty left on the current one, it's eligible to renew (yes, spendy), figure it's time since it still has decent resell.

4. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ahhh, yes, the ol' "I-need-a-new-warranty-so-i'll-just-buy-a-new-laptop" excuse! I'm guessing it's the addiction to technology, more than the warranty. ;)

You should have, though, saved some money and just gotten a 1 or 2 year warranty, though, because those with "the addiction" need to constantly upgrade. Your R2 is already maxed out from the get-go (big mistake), so no upgrade fun until Intel's Haswell comes out in 2013. Then, like a junkie going through withdrawl, you'll sell your house and car (and R2) for the "R3".

I know all about "the addiction". ;) Get help now. :D

5. tanderson

tanderson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I could wait till the end of the year, just before it expires, renew for a year for little over 400 and do the same next year (if they let you up it one year at a time) or max it for 1400 (best offer I could get from them). Or, hope all goes well, deal with the last of the warranty and hope all goes well, which it very well could.

6. Grimy1

Grimy1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone can always call in when ordering your Alienware and you will always get a better deal than the website. You can get at least up to 14% off. You can get more if you buy a lot from them, like on a business account. My wife used to work for dell. If you can’t get at least 14% off, call back and talk to someone else and you will get it. I got 14% off my order which equaled $441, and check their math too! They said they gave me 14% once and I check it and it was only 12% and at that price we all know them %’s add up quick.

7. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can confirm if anybody is wondering, I added 3 X 9mm SSD drives + mSATA drive in the M18XR2. It's a bit tide but it works.

Also 2 of the connectors work as SATA ||| and 1 as SATA ||

8. Lp18

Lp18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys I want to buy an M18X and I dont know if now is the right time.
    I only say this because of the killer wireless card isn't in the options, the 680M and the 7990M aren't out in the market and the ivy bridge tend to overheat.

What should I do? Wait or try to buy one now? I'll upgrade the memory by myself since its cheaper but the rest I can't do anything about I think.

9. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Who told you that IV CPU overheats? I have the computer switched on and working on it from morning and had no such issues. As per the GPU, the ATi 7970M has just being released few days back in the m18xR2. If any updates will be made, ATi would most probably come up at the end of the year. As per the 7970M are a killer, there is no need to worry for a long time to go...

10. Grimy1

Grimy1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven’t read or heard anything about the ivy bridge overheating, as far as I have heard they run a lot cooler. As for the GPU’s, the 7970M is very good right now and its out. If you’re a hard core Nvidia fan I can understand waiting for the 680M. I have always felt that it’s kind of up to you, based on how long you are willing to wait and your demand or need at the moment. There is always something newer and faster coming out and it can be a slippery slope waiting or trying to keep up. The new killer wireless is supposed to release this month so that might be something worth waiting for but that’s up to you. Unless I had something capable to handle all my needs while I waited for bigger and better, I would rather be gaming and enjoying my new rig for the next 3 to 6 months or maybe even longer than sitting around and waiting. That’s just me though and something to think about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.