M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironminded

ironminded Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick Question on the display for the 18x;

What is the refresh rate? [I assume 60hz]

What is the spectrum coverage? [72%? 90%?]

As a lawyer who stares at a computer screen all day I'm hoping the lcd on the 18x is nice enough not to *completely* ruin my eyes. I know I can always get an external screen [and have two of them], but sometimes I have to work off-site or in war-rooms during trial and a decent screen helps when you are pulling loooooong hours.*

*I've actually got all gamer-gear for my peripherals due to the improved ergonomics over "standard" firm hardware.

2. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gents,

So where are we with the current state of Mobile graphic cards?

Is it worth ordering now, or is there something amazing due out anytime soon? I note Nvidia had a big launch with the desktop, and wondered if that technology is / has trickled down to the mobile parts yet...I'm not entirely sure about the 675M...

I'd hate to get stung with DDR3 in a graphics card again, when GDDR5 etc exists...

EDIT: Cancel that, I saw on notebookcheck that it is a renamed 580M.

Guess I'll wait.

3. gbsn721

gbsn721 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 7970m x-fire was added today to the m18x, and they are very powerful mobile cards. Also, word on the street is the GTX 680m will be out towards the end of the summer.

4. nimbat1003

nimbat1003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i'm ordering the m18x with crossfire 7970ms but only the 3610qm cpu will this bottle neck it in games at all

5. TaintedMeat

TaintedMeat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would also like to know this, as I'm indecisive between the 3610 and the 3720. 3720 is as high as I'm willing to go, cause I'm trying to keep it below $2,800 if I can. Which I'm struggling to do with the only changes being the 3720 and the xfire 7970ms. I'll buy some Hyper X RAM after I get it, and I already have a SSD I'm going to put in it. I essentially just want the cpu and the gpu to be in a decent balance.

Does this seem like the cheapest system I can get away with to you guys?

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

I'm gonna try to reduce the price as much as possible via phone I guess, but any suggestions with bugdet as priority? DEM TAXES :(

6. nimbat1003

nimbat1003 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    there are a 5% discount cupon float around on the internet just google them

also ur lucky i'm am also trying to keep it at about 2800 but i live in australia and the base model $3300(it is speced up from the u.s it starts with 8gb ram a 3720cpu etc duel 675ms) so i am getting t through hidevolution with $200 postage

7. tanderson

tanderson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I called in curious and they offered three hundred off the total and another 5% back in a dell coupon vs the online configuration price. Love Oregon for no taxes...

8. TaintedMeat

TaintedMeat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Goodness man! What did you say to them, did you have to say much? If I could get something close to that it would be a done deal for sure.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Just the sales tax on something as expensive as a maxed out M18x can be pretty stinking brutal. I cannot imagine having to pay the asinine taxes our brothers in the UK and Europe have to pay.
    There's a ton of stuff to love about Oregon, but I'm not so sure about that aspect being lovely. When I moved across the river to Washington, it was like getting a nice raise in my paycheck. Instead of a 8.3 to 9.0% sales tax on taxable items only, in Oregon, it's 9.0% of your income. Most of my purchases are non-taxable. You do get numb to being financially raped eventually, and there is a perception of something nice when you go shopping, but it's costing way more in the long run. But, living near the border is very nice for shopping... best of both worlds.

10. tanderson

tanderson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe I found the right person. But it was the following:

Alienware M18X R2 3920xm 7970 Xfire 8GB 1600 750 GB HD Blu-ray drive 4 Year Advanced warranty 3999.96 vs 4300 online price, plus 5% dell gift card, so 200 spend at dell, so I'll probably grab another 750 GB drive and got my eye on the Mushkin 240 GB Msata to complete the package.

Cost of living and property tax is bad here, no jobs except Portland, so yes, there's that...

And there are people who live on the Washington side of Portland or across the river, you get my point and your right, they get the best of both worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.