M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabbok

jabbok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information as you hear lots of people say the difference in price isn't worth the difference in performance that you get.

I have never overclocked a cpu would you pay the difference for the overclocked xm cpu?

2. MartinReyes

MartinReyes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The big advantage is cost. Dell is notorious for making fat profits on hard drive and memory upgrades by over-charging customers for them. If you do the upgrades yourself, you'll save money and you can pick the exact hardware that goes into your computer.

If you can use a screwdriver, you can pretty much change the hard drives yourself. They're very accessible and easy to install.

3. bsan89

bsan89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its as you say. Its extremely hard to justify the price different vs performance.
    Im pretty sure u can push it to be as powerful as a desktop.
    But really how far can u push it on a laptop?

If it was on a desktop I would get a Extreme Series CPU. With that, I can water cool it & other fun with it.

4. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe he should be very carreful while changing the HDD, not to break the connector. It is very flexible and directly into the motherboard. Just little bit of attention is required

5. oanis

oanis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i think they are now offering the intel wireless n 2230 which includes the intel widi which is the same as wireless hd transmitter also it includes bluetooth4.0....

regards

6. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Intel widi it's not the same as wireless HD card + the resolution is much smaller on intel widi, you cannot game on dedicated GPU. Wireless HD does trasmit to the 'tv' any media + games

7. BlackStar2012

BlackStar2012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends on the laptop with something like the m18x you can easily push the extremes to out perform say the 2700k say around 4.1-4.5 probably(provided they dont overclock to something like 5ghz :/)
    It is a fair point that the performance per price drops really low when going from 3820qm to 3920xm but the overclock easily makes it worth it. Like above if you want max performace you can't skimp out on at least the gpu and cpu.
    Either way though 3820 is still a good proc it should run most if not all games you throw at it comfortably.

Edit: Also apparently m18x does have support for wireless hd but they might just be out of stock
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_M18xR2/en/specs/specs_en.swf
    Check under communications in that specs thingy(I know its been said before in the live assitance thread but its easier when you have in an official doc :))

8. oanis

oanis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply...hmmm that means i cant game? Cuz its no use of gaming on the motherboard graphic card..i wont be able to use sli?.... Regarding resolution it says it supports 1080p?.... Also by dedicated gpu, u mean that in order to use widi ill have to switch from nvidia to the motherboard graphics for normal window use aswell?
    This is horrible if its like this cuz i just ordered the m18x r2 which is costing me around $5500........ I feel awful..

9. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is nothing to be feeling bad about. It's a wonderful system, congratulation. There are lots of wireless hd transmitters out there and are not too expensive. And no, you cannot game on widi, it combines the wireless card with the iGPU together. While you are on the dedicated / sli, the widi is disambled.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For those that may have heard rumors or had concerns, we have great news... no reason for concern. :) A RAID0 config with 3 SSD (not counting the mSATA) will operate at SATA 3.0 6GB/s as advertised for the M18x R2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.