M18xR2 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackStar2012

BlackStar2012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It does in the actual configuration but for some reason it doesn't in the specs ..

2. bsan89

bsan89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait, what is a msata? I never heard of that before?

3. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's a really really tiny SSD.

[​IMG]

4. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it really? He won't notice any difference apart from benchmarking scores, so if money is an issue, spending few hundreds less should be attractive.

5. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's about the best bang for the buck, which is where the 2720/2760/3720/3760 is at.

Some people use their laptop for more than just games.

He mentioned he does more than just play games, it's not really debatable. 3720QM is the best CPU for him.

6. Zeju

Zeju Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll simplify my question.

SSD or HDD? I know SDD is superior but is it worth the price tag?

7. tetsussaiga

tetsussaiga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    100% yes. Most noticeable upgrade that is worth every penny. You'll never go back to HDDs after... but buy it aftermarket :)

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    After going from 2720QM, to 2760QM and then 2920XM, anything less than an XM CPU doesn't interest me any more. There is a noticeable improvement in performance. In my noob days of being a laptop gamer/bencher, I took advice from the wrong people posting in forums and I regret having listened to the logic that was presented by people that did not own the best CPU and GPU hardware available. I ended up spending money for upgrades that were not covered by warranty and having leftover inferior hardware in my electronics junk drawer.

I would never encourage anyone buying a high performance gaming system to downgrade their specs, as there is no escaping that more powerful hardware performs better. Synthetic benchmark scores (Heaven, 3DMark11, Vantage) do accurately represent variations in results that will be found in gaming. After all, these benchmarks are nothing more than games that run without user intervention. They do stress the components more than most games, but the results accurately highlight differences in performance potential.

Being willing to compromise performance to save money at a personal level is absolutely fine, but minimizing the advantages of owning better hardware is not good advice. As an XM CPU and 580M SLI owner I say, buy the best your budget allows and be prepared to live with the decision if you need to make a compromise. You may be tickled with your decision to be frugal, but fully expect that your system will underperform in comparison to others that were not willing to compromise.
    How can I say I agree with the most emphasis possible? Absolutely, yes... tetsussaiga is correct. You will not regret the performance. It will make you despise using a HDD. You can feel the difference in everything thing you do, from the moment you press the power button. The only drawback to SSD is cost per MB is too high. Be sure to not buy too small of an SSD to save money because you will run out of space for apps and games. You can install them to a HDD, but they will run slower. A large HDD is fine for data storage. A 128GB SSD is the minimum I would suggest. You will fill it up quickly and it will be an impediment rather than an asset if you don't have another drive on which to install apps that don't need to be fast (MS Office, for example) and store data.

9. bsan89

bsan89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would get a XM a shame I can't afford a CPU that cost $800+ USD. :mad: with envy.
    How high can u over-clock that on a laptop?

10. Zeju

Zeju Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 500GB external I use for storing homework and such anyway. So that works out.

Why would I get it aftermarket? What advantages does that pose?

I have bucketloads of experience with desktop PC's but I dont know how to change harddrives on a laptop so I was thinking I would just get HID or dell to install it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.