[m18xR1] 2820qm throttling

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Covered, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covered

Covered Newbie

Reputations:
    Good morning everyone,

I have been having this issue for quite some time. Basically, my CPU throttles back and forth (normal operating clock to 790ish mhz) for no apparent reason. Here is a screen from HWINFO64:

throttling.jpg

Bear in mind this is not even under load (just browsing the web). As you can see temps are fine. If I start some kind of game the CPU core will stay at 790ish mhz - of course this makes about everything unplayable.

I have tried playing around with Throttlestop, changing turbo boost long/short durations in bios which was suggested in another thread (http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/710886-2820qm-throttling-problem.html). So far I haven't been able to find a fix.

If anyone could give me a hand, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Have you been changing your BIOS Settjngs? What clocks are you trying to run?
    Have you tried disabling C-states ?

Please, more details..

3. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Frequency going up and down when not under load is perfectly normal but of course being stuck at 8x multiplier during games can be a drag..

What I would suggest, since the OP is familiar with ThrottleStop, is to run the TS Bench in ThrottleStop and see how the CPU frequencies fluctuate while keeping an eye on the power and temperature measurements. Ideally, the frequency should be at full turbo speed at least within the short term turbo time window with temperature on all cores well below 105 degrees C. Power measured should be in the 40-50 ballpark given the locked nature of the 2820QM. A screenshot of ThrottleStop DURING a TS Bench run can be quite helpful for the trained eye to diagnose the problem :cool:

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If this is idle behavior, then it is normal as Brother sponge_got has stated. It should NOT do that under load.

If it is idle behavior and you hate it (I know I do) then disable c-states in the BIOS. (You'll need an unlock BIOS for that.) This will let your CPU run at max core ratio 24/7. That's how I like mine.

5. Covered

Covered Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, so after playing around with Throttlestop I have managed to get the cores working at full ratio under load. I would love to know why they throttle in the first place, but I'm happy that it's now working anyway!
    My temps are going quite high, but I'm thinking they are still acceptable: I get 90/91°c temps after an hour of gaming. I might call Alienware and see if they can do something about that though. I've had a replacement of the CPU cooler before but they put in a single pipe cooler, arguing that the triple pipe cooler isn't compatible with my laptop - I gave up.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys!

6. MrValle

MrValle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had throttling during some heavy games with that same processor.

Make sure speedstep is enabled in bios.

And in throttlestop i had to tick the BD PROCHOT checkbox to make my cpu run normally in crysis and some other heavy games. This was not due to temp, i have the tripple pipe and my temps wont go past high 60c even after hours of gaming.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    A single pipe cooler is not effective. You spoke with the wrong person. The person that helped you is ignorant if they think the 3-pipe is not compatible with any M18xR1/R2. Get in touch with someone else that isn't stupid and buy a 3-pipe. (Sorry to be so blunt, but they should not employ incompetent people that are so unfamiliar with their products. Their mere existence is a disservice to Dell and Dell customers.) Go through one of the awesome Alienware Social Media reps here in the forum. You will need at least 5 posts and overnight processing before you can use the messaging system.

unclewebb likes this.
  8. Covered

Covered Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the answers guys.
    Fox, I knew that it was indeed compatible but the rep didn't leave me the chance to explain why he's wrong. The funniest part is that they replaced the working stock double-pipe cooler with a one-pipe cooler when the goal was to get better temps, and yes he really thought that would be effective somehow... Anyway thanks for the tip, I'll try to contact one of your reps, even though I'm not sure they'll be able to help with Alienware France?

Valle, It's that same checkbox that made it work in my case too, hehe. That said, I have no clue why we have to go through that much hassle to have our procs behave correctly... It doesn't really make much sense to me, that's not something I have encountered in the past (with the older intel architectures).

9. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

Reputations:
    You should be able to order the triple pipe heatsink directly from the Parts department, then ask Technical Support to send someone out to assist in high temperatures, OR install it yourself!

10. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    We can't send parts out there but I can definitely confirm that it should work without issues. I have personally sent a couple to NBR members who have needed them. Try getting it online and installing it yourself or get on the phone and ask for the replacement part again, you may get lucky on the 2nd try. Or order the part from DELL and then get a tech as well as Hybris suggests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.