M18x Skyrim Performance/Problems/General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by hazeblaze777, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been having some shutdown issues that I dont know whether to attribute to a recent ENB mod or overclocking, although I believe it is the latter. Has anyone had issues with the system shutting down with Throttle Stop?

More: http://www.overclock.net/t/1166840/skyrim-pc-shut-down-reboot/10

In reference to the issues I have been having, I disabled C1E in ThrottleStop and still got a shut down within about 10 minutes, I dont believe it is a thermal issue as I have had the chance to check temps before this happens before and they are only in the mid to high 70's. Not sure if this is a PSU issue either, right now I have wattage set to 150 W short in throttle stop but it has happened even at 120 W, and again it isnt as though that much wattage is even being drawn.

More: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/578609-m18x-2920xm-2960xm-cpu-overclocking-discussion-110.html

UPDATE: Problem may be resolved, see below (the problem may likely have been high GPU clocks):

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=15105

@Kyokushinoyama

"Sounds like GPU overheating or powerthrottle function...
    Are your Gpu (s) OCed ?
    Running Nvidia or AMD ?
    Wich drivers ?
    Set AF from ENB to false if you're using AF from GPU
    Set Limiter from ENB to false if using vsync from GPU"

Thanks for help, yes GPU's are OC'ed but I haven't experienced this issue of Total System Crash for hours upon hours until I got a crash in game while experimenting with 45x multipliers via ThrottleStop on two cores (45,45,44,44).

I have since reverted to previous settings and have even played with Throttle Stop not even running and it still happens. So I have tried loading saves that occurred before the initial crash thinking that maybe the crash altered the .ini files of that save and all others past it. No it still crashes.

So I reverted to a relatively mild OC on GPU's. (580 SLI: 800 shader/750 memory) Still crashes.

It isnt an issue of GPU heat, they don't get over 73 C which is not considered hot in a notebook.

Also AF and Vsync are set to "let program control" via Nvidia Control Panel.

I am on 301.10 (Nvidia) but experimented with a reversion to the official 296.10 whql and problem persisted, back on 301.10 as it is better performing.

I have done quite a bit and now I am going to try deactivating all mods and uninstalling and reinstalling game completely and reactivating mods, only thing stopping me is that rather laborious requirement of having to change U-Grids from 7 to 5 first:

http://www.geforce.co.uk/optimise/g...uaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better/

I think I will, sadly deactivate this ENB before I completely uninstall the game though, I say sadly because this is how Bethesda should have made this game and now it will feel as though I am stepping down to playing it on a Playstation 2. Using this mod really allowed me to get back into Skyrim. I hope that Bethesda is hearing this and releases an official patch that accommodates this particular mod and addresses the "Total System Crashes" that others are having, a phenomenon not entirely related to this mod yet one that I think was introduced by it in my particular case as I have never experienced it until using this mod.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1166840/skyrim-pc-shut-down-reboot

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/456889-skyrim-complete-pc-crashes/

The problem is, I have made multiple changes in my GPU and CPU clockspeed/multiplier and throttle configuration relatively shortly after initially installing this ENB (with the intent of curing some of the slowdown and stutter) so I can't confidently attribute it to this mod, but while trying to narrow down the potential sources I have reverted to previous GPU and CPU configurations that allowed me to use the ENB without the "Total System Shutdown" and it still persists.

My system:

Alienware M18x: i7 2960xm 2.7 base 4.4 Ghz turbo, 580 SLI, 16GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM SSD Hybrid, Killer Wireless. Everyday stable clocks: 800 shader/800 memory .92V) A05 BIOS OC in conjunction with ThrottleStop- 44x. Vantage 30,140

UPDATE: Good news first, I reduced the OC on GPU's to default (620 shader/750 memory) and no more "Total System Shutdowns"! I didnt play extensively, but it lasted well beyond the 15 minutes or so that I usually would get them, and I believe this is the culprit. This is a relief somewhat, but now a moderate stutter was reintroduced with the default clocks. Trying to find a happy medium, I am using a mild OC now (750 shader/750 memory).

Is it not possible to use ANY OC with this mod? That would be quite unpleasant, is there a way to change it so that it is OC friendly? Thanks.

UPDATE: It is possible to OC GPU's with this mod, but not as much as other games, it has survived some pretty intensive on screen action with a mild clock (Nvidia 580 SLI) of 750 shader/750 memory, whereas before it was at 800 shader/800 memory.

This is the only game that cannot take the higher clocks, I have no problems with Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Batman AC etc.

Will continue to monitor and report back but I do believe that the culprit was high GPU clocks.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Did you get this resolved, Brother Vulcan?

3. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For ENB users, what's the difference between using ultra settings in options and high settings in terms of visuals?

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't know if its the game itself or whatever but I have no mods or tweaks in place but if I OC my gpu's, even with a small OC it will freeze up at some point - generally when lockpicking it would just freeze and become unresponsive requiring a hard shutdown. I havent tried any OC on it for some time but might see if its still causing issues as since I last had the problem, I have re-installed everything and started from scratch.

5. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So anyone has ENB can answer my confusing question?

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Specifically with the ENB mod, I think its hard to say since there are so many different profiles out there at the moment, all of them have their own brand of 'High/Ultra'
    Usually DOF, or SSAO is switched off, and AA/AF on some of the other ENB's that support it.
    It took me ages to find a profile that properly supported DOF and CF, did you have a similar problem?

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Hey Vulcan, I am using a modified one of that ENB. Some screenies for ya. I'm wrapped with Skryim again :D

fl.jpg .jpg ScreenShot21.jpg ScreenShotf3.jpg

9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, it looks impressive, what kind of framerate are you getting? I am currently using a 'Skyrealism ENB Evolved' that i favor over 'Sharpshooters ENB' but the DOF effects in RealVision seem more robust, I think I will try it, even though it can be a hassle switching back and forth in between ENB's. I am also hoping to improve my framerate, with ENB Evolved I am averaging 50 FPS outdoors, this is with the GPU's clocked at 900/1050, the most they can remain stable at with .987 V.

The developer has some other good mods that I would check out, some of which I already have, 2k textures, flora/fauna overhaul, HD NPC textures etc.

I am using Realistic Lighting Overhaul, hope this ENB is optimized for this and not Climates of Tamriel.

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Getting a solid 60fps. I'm not likely to change EBN's because I spent so much time getting one going that supports CF without the sky or lights flickering and broken DOF.
    You could tell... Have the nVidia camp had trouble with DOF and SLI ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.