M18x Skyrim Performance/Problems/General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by hazeblaze777, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAVIS91495

TRAVIS91495 Newbie

Reputations:
    well i was very wrong and the problem appeared to be windows 8 so my suggestion to someone wanting windows 8 is wait for better drivers to come out

2. Kyrius

Kyrius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I just got this huge problem. Earlier this day I was playing skyrim with my Alienware M18X with high settings. No problem at all, and then I updated the drivers. Then bam, suddenly my Alienware cannot even handle skyrim even at the low settings. What is going on??? I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M :( Please help here? I tried reinstalling :( doesn't work at all.

3. Kyrius

Reputations:
    I also tried AlienRespawn still doesn't work. :(

4. YellowApple_

YellowApple_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Switch back to your older driver and see if the performance is back. New drivers are not always better

5. TheMacs

TheMacs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As the poster above said, roll back drivers and if that doesn't work try to Alt+Tab out and back in. That sometimes fixes FPS issues.

6. Kyrius

Reputations:
    I just discovered that you can only play the latest 3D (the new ones like Skyrim, Battlefield 3) games with the power supply plugged on to the Alienware M18x. Because without the power supply, it wouldn't play games properly because the AMD and NVIDIA cards will stay in low power state while running on battery power and will not run 3D games because the clock speeds are too low.That's normal right?

7. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ಠ_ಠ

Yes, it does indeed lower performance while not plugged in

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  8. Kyrius

Reputations:
    Sorry:) it was my first time to buy a laptop. :p

9. DemonRage

DemonRage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Turn of VSync by putting iPresentInterval=0 in the skyrim.ini file under [display]. This will also put extra load on the GPU making it run hotter.

The stuttering problem can easily be explained. I have it too and it happens when framerates drop below the refresh rate of the screen. Especially when the time needed to render a frame is near 1½ the time between screen refreshes. If the refresh rate of the display is 60 Hz, this will mean that the screen is updated alternatingly between 30 and 60 fps because around 50% of the time frames are ready to be shown on the next refresh otherwise it's missed and no update takes place. When this happens you'll notice the annoying screen stutter, especially when playing with a gamepad and you're turning the character around at a constant pace.

Tools like FRAPS might still show the in-between values like 45 or 50 fps, but those are average values within a certain time span. They are never true when VSync is enabled on a 60 Hz display.

If there's a way to lock the framerate at 30 fps the game feels much smoother, because it doesn't alternate between lower and higher framerates. Hopefully Bethesda implements an option to limit frame rates in their code.

I've read about a program named DXTory that can limit framerates, but I've never used it.

10. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You guys really gotta check out the latest ENB mod for Skyrim, included is my comment and some adjustments I have made to make it playable with my configuration:

Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics Vision ENB - good performance at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

I have to say that it is a bit better performing than Superb, maybe by 10 FPS but I still have a pronounced stutter regardless of the framerate, and another problem, some odd looking shadow related glitching that may be a result of incompatibility between CBBE 3? (fixed, see below)

I'm in an experimenting kind of mood, will deleting d3d9.dll alleviate the stutter?

Other than that I am truly torn between playing the game without this ENB and no stutter and coping with pronounced stutter and this ENB, this ENB just looks good enough for me to even contemplate it as I absolutely deplore the stutter.

Another question, is this mod CPU or GPU dependent? (assuming GPU) Cause I still have some headroom on my CPU. GPU's are about as clocked as they're going to get without crashing on .92V

Rig in question:

Alienware M18: i7 2960xm, 580 SLI, 16GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM SSD Hybrid, Killer Wireless. Everyday stable clocks Vantage 29,019 GPU (800 shader/750 memory .92V) A05 BIOS OC-44/44/44/44

Post Script/Update:

I've reduced the AA from 8 to 4 which seems to have alleviated the stutter a bit, it is eminently playable now and I must say absolutely gorgeous, AND better performing by about 10-15 FPS over Superb.

Also the shadow glitch disappeared with a reload.

No success with removing d3d9.dll, it will not work without it.

All settings Ultra (except shadows: high), Anisotropic x16, AA x4, 1920x1080. Whiterun 45 FPS, Outside Whiterun 50 FPS, Markarth 37-45 FPS, etc. GPU's max temps: 73 and 76 C.

What I have done to accommodate my personal settings with Realistic Lighting is to refrain from adding the realisticlighting.ini included with this ENB into the Data folder and just kept RL activated. So far so good.

I really cant express how beautiful this mod makes Skyrim, great work, also much credit goes to the makers of Superb, particularly Sung9335 for their help. Fantastic job, endorse!

Post Post Script:

Oh and I can see underwater! :)

Post Post Post Script:

Triple Buffering helps with the stutter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.