M18x RGBLED speculation

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by FXi, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi again

Figure, there is an active rumourmill (or maybe not who knows?) on just what the chances are of a RGBLED screen coming to the M18x. Let's please leave glossy vs matte out of this, keeping that to a separate thread if someone wants it. This way if this info begins to mature in the months to come, people can come to one thread for info on it.

Enjoy

2. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    Is there any legitimacy to the rumors at all? If so any whispers of an ETA or just pure speculation? Sounds pretty doubtful to me....

3. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    My guess is there is no chance of rgbled in the M18x

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I supppose just remember that the M18x itself was just a rumour not too long ago :)

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    As of today there's no RGB LED 18.4" on the market. There was a 112% gamut panel a year ago, and can still be purchased second hand or even brand new from some suppliers. But it has a a 30pin connector and I strongly suspect that the M18x uses 40pins...
    Anyway, there's one 90% gamut screen that can be purchased from some suppliers, but finding a reliable channel will take some time.

There could be a new screen in the works but I haven't heard any rumors from trustworthy sources...

6. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

I totally forgot about the PM you sent me man! I took pictures of the connector for you but got lost with the GPU 2 temp discussions that it slipped my mind. Anyway, here's a couple shots I took for you:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like 44 pins to me but you might want to zoom in and count it. Sorry for the quality, I used my iPhone because my camera was stuck on a tripod and would've been too difficult to get to.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Correction!

This is the mobo connector which doesn't matter in this case. I need to see the inverter's connector under the lid. you'd have to remove the red cover. Sorry, I had to be more specific... :(

8. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Honestly, if Dell could just stick the damn 90% gamut screen in there I'd be ordering an m18x POST HASTE.

It just doesn't make sense what they're doing. Totally refreshed and AWESOME laptop lineup, not ONE good* screen.

* better than average.

9. SOS4DELL

SOS4DELL A Notebook Philosopher

Reputations:
    Totally agree! That 'old' 18.4" RGB-LED / 112% gamut panel (mentioned by Aikimox) could have enhanced the awesomeness of the 2011 lineup... and attract more customers willing to pay for it and need to use their laptop to game and work... (and even travel a lot without the option to take their U3011 with them... ;) )

10. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would love to upgrade my screen but I would be too afraid to do it myself. Aikimox you don't live in South Florida by any chance do you :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.