m18x r2 works perfectly with gtx 1060

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by tanzmeister, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awktane

awktane Newbie

Reputations:
    That's the answer. I was modifying nvdmi.ini (Dell specific file) which did allow the drivers to install but did not let the 1060 talk to the Intel GPU.

For all that follow... Modify the nvidia drivers using the nv_dispi.inf file. Not only is it easier it's also the only way that will work.

Thank-you Rotary Heart! I am now fully operational using all of the latest drivers, operating system, etc. Pretty good for an old beast. Next to try VR on it now...

long2905 likes this.
  2. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Goos to know, enjoy your beast

3. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you have to take an already existent Optimus string and only replace the right part of it with your Hardware ID, while keeping the left one as it is. that's how I did it.

for ex.
    original string:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.5281.1558% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_52811558

your mod:

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.5281.1558% = Section059, your hardware ID

then you replace the 980m with 1060 with cntrl+h in notepad

4. awktane

awktane Newbie

Reputations:
    For posterity, VR does not work on the m18x R2 even with the 1060. Both of the outputs (HDMI and DP) are routed to the intel graphics. I'm not sure if it would be that way in PEG mode but without a doubt in SR or "Optimus" mode VR is not available.

5. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Really? Is it a GPU specific problem? So VR doesn't work period? 980M here, curious if it will do VR.

6. awktane

awktane Newbie

Reputations:
    For sure no VR with 1060/70/80 on m18xR2 unless someone releases a version that does not require Optimus. Need a card that does LVDS because the m18xR2 screen doesn't speak eDP. That's why Optimus is required in this case. It's unlikely a card like that will ever see the light of day.

It is my understanding that 980m and below don't require Optimus. They speak LVDS and therefore the card can be run in PEG mode. In PEG mode the intel you is disabled so the outputs should work.

7. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hell yeah, well I'm glad I went 980M when I did, I could theoretically add another 980M for SLI and have a completely capable VR machine.

8. giogrig

giogrig Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Such beautiful news i'm reading on this forum, I thought that the 980m will be the last GPU from NVidia on MXM cards. My system is an Alienware 18, 2013 model, the last 18 inch produced by Alienware. Inside I have a SLI of GTX 765m and I wish an upgrade on the GPU side is time i'm afraid. I don't wish to sell my notebook for a bran new one, even if is huge and heavy I still like mine like is. Any help guys, in order to accomplish the mission. the temptation if to go with the GTX 1060/70 ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    I believe for the 18R1 you are limited to GTX980m tops

10. giogrig

giogrig Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    but why ? is because mine alienware has an eDP connection ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.