m18x r2 works perfectly with gtx 1060

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by tanzmeister, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great for when SLI works at all / works properly, or about 60% of the time. I'm so done with that.

2. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having Raidriars UV vbios, using throttlefix and now with a dual psu (not needed but helps a bit) everyting is ok. Perhaps not owing an extreme cpu helps the setup.v

4. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you get your 6 pipe heat-sink in? How is it performing? What about the "TEP Module"? Anyone go with a 1070 yet?

5. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Modded Heatsink (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...and-actual-guide.799324/page-14#post-10539772)
    and the un-modded top-cover still sitting and waiting for minus8 thermal pads that on route from Canada with TEP module (that I think to not mount to not obstruct fan hole with less space from tapping it)
    IMG_20170616_175841.jpg

Hope it arrives soon

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    vulcan78 likes this.
  6. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Yes, only with the INTEl HD drivers past november last year will it work too.
    They were blocked from working on Alienware's initially, so we couldn't have even done this last year, and all tests failed miserably.

If there are no profile issues, then this is great. The 1060N seems to suffer some performance loss because of the HD Intel, but better than nothing, and better then 980M

I didn't support any upgrades via HD intel /SG mode for years, because of all the small issues that come up, everyone immediately assumes its the videocards problem - so mentioning here -
    SG mode and HD Intel is not perfect with newer titles, and you need to create profiles all the time for the NVidia control panel.

7. Rotary Heart

Rotary Heart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I took the big step and made the upgrade to 1060, thanks to @woodzstack. Amazing results since I'm jumping from 780!! I have taken a couple of pictures to show how the modifications went to install the 6 pipe heatsink for the GPU. The heatsink didn't fit at first so I had to modify the chassis to make it fit.

[​IMG]

The palmrest doesn't fit perfectly since the heatsink is bigger so it ends up like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The keyboard also ends a little bit lifted on the top side, it doesn't bother me. But you can see it from esc to F4 keys, they are slightly higher than the rest of the keyboard

[​IMG]

The GPU installation was just as this thread says nothing new to add there. Had a little problem with the driver but @aaronne helped me there, it seems like I modded the driver wrong since it was running on very low FPS the first time.

Well and here is a comparison result on my first run of Firestrike (780 vs 1060):

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7846665/fs/13159124

It's amazing to see that without any tweak I almost doubled my score!! My 780 was running custom vbios.

Here are the thermal results with a room temp of 35-37 (Yeah it's very hot here that's why I went with the 6 pipe) after running ffirestrike:

This is with the default fan control

[​IMG]

HW Info fan at maximum, it's amazing how big of a difference it can make, I got a drop of 4 degrees on the GPU:

[​IMG]

Here's unigine with default fan control:

[​IMG]

And the with HW fan at max:

[​IMG]

So it was definitely worth the upgrade, I wish the 1070 or the 1080 could fit since that will definitely be a huge step.

You can see all the pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzM4gMn2eoz0dHFKOU10MHRjakk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    vulcan78, aaronne and long2905 like this.
  8. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm, do you have performance data with the 3-Pipe heat-sink to compare to, accounting for ambient, and is that an improvement? I don't know what ambient is like there but 74C is still somewhat warm with 100% fan RPM and the unit elevated.

I noticed you are at 1.025v. Speaking for 980M, undervolting from 1.025v to 1.00v dropped my load temps from 85C to 75C and resulted in only a marginal reduction in performance (from 11k to 10.5k GPU in Firestrike 1.1).

If it were me, I would undervolt the card and revert to a 3-Pipe heat-sink to restore aesthetics and mobility.

Oh and MSI's mobile GTX 1070 should fit, simply no-one has tried it yet.

9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an idea for cooling the primary (and possibly secondary) GPU in our R2. It would require enlarging the hole that is in the motherboard beneath the GPU backplate. I looked and did not see any traces there, if one were to remove the motherboard and with access to drill cutter, expand that hole as large as possible one could then use Clevo's 980M copper back-plate modified with low profile copper heat-sinks. Using the R2 with a modified Notepal U3 with an 120mm fan directly under the primary GPU's on-board fan would force enough air up into the chassis to cool the GPU from the bottom.

What do you think?

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I have MSI GTX 1070 and a pair of MSI GTX 980 , but no M18x-R2 to test it on.... lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.