m18x R2 with NVidia 780M

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by GameEngineer, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameEngineer

GameEngineer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will the 980M work in this m18x R2 laptop running Win7 x64 using a single master slot? The supplier is asking if I want to go with that GFX instead if they cannot find a 780M from their source.
    I can modify the NVidia driver like I did with the 780M but using the correct gpu mfg number.

EDIT: Doing a lot of reading of threads here to try to understand some of the lingo being used. PEG (PCI Express Graphics) and SG (Standard Graphics). If my machine only saw the 780M (before it died) then would that be PEG mode? The standard Dell BIOS has the iGPU grayed out which I am not sure why that is unless the modified NVidia driver that I made for the 780M took out the iGPU for whatever reason. I cannot switch to the iGPU using the soft switch or any selection. To be able to switch between iGPU and dGPU do I need the modified BIOS (not vBIOS but PC BIOS) A11? Do I need to flash the dGPU with vBIOS?
    I'd like to be able to switch from dGPU to iGPU to save power and to save my dGPU from constantly running when im not gaming.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes it works perfectly fine, after you flash my custom BIOS. Make sure the 980M is a non-gsync model though. The dell cards are all non-gsync and work great with the clevo vBIOS flashed to them. nvidia natively supports the 980M on the m18x r2 now. Only thing is random throttle behavior after it is disconnected from AC power, which can be resolved by switching to igpu then back to dgpu.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  3. GameEngineer

Reputations:
    I think I remember you encouraging me to get the 980M at the time you were helping me setting up the780M. What is the purpose of the modified BIOS? I am running Win7 x64 do I still need it? Reason I ask is the risk of potentially bricking my laptop. If the risk of installing your modded BIOS is the same as upgrading stock BIOS from Dell then that's probably not as issue. Where do I get it and where are the instructions for installing it? That includes any other tweaks or settings in the modded BIOS after installation. Do I have to re-install my OS before or after or ever?
    Nice to know NVidia drivers for Win7 x64 cover the 980M now. Although modding the driver INF was no big deal.
    I'm not too concerned about the random throttle issues because I pretty much never use the laptop unplugged. I do want the option to switch to iGPU which sounds like your modded BIOS handles.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You need my BIOS to run a 980M in dedicated mode in Windows 7. Many have flashed my BIOS without problem, just follow instructions.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/release-improved-m18x-r2-maxwell-legacy-bios.800447/

No need to reinstall OS, just be aware it defaults the GPU to intel after flashing since people needed to install UEFI only pascal cards that would otherwise cause them to tear down the whole system to do, this bypasses that step.

Enjoy, and if you feel like it, buy me a beer ;)

5. GameEngineer

Reputations:
    The company where I got the board is replacing the 780M under warranty but I will look into getting a 980M anyway. I asked them to look for a 980M as well but they had already found the 780M. And they said their supplier wasn't sure how G-sync applied to the board. They thought it was for monitors only.
    Thanks for the instructions and modded BIOS link. Regarding defaulting to iGPU does the software switch for iGPU and dGPU work with this BIOS? Or do I need to select in BIOS each time I want one or the other?

You got it!

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes it works fine, but I always do the switch in the BIOS to make sure it toggles between PEG/IGFX and not IGFX/SG

You check if the card is Gsync by looking at the device ID. Non gsync is what you want, with device ID 13d7

Gsync ID is 1617, you do NOT want that card.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  7. GameEngineer

Reputations:
    Given a physical graphics board how would you know what the device ID is? Yes you can plug the board in and examine the Device ID from the Device manager properties but that's after you have the board. I am looking at my bad 780M and cannot find the value marked or stickered.

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You can’t, you have to plug in and use at the very least a bootable DOS utility to check device ID

M18x-oldie likes this.
  9. GameEngineer

Reputations:
    UPDATE: The parts people company just responded after having my card for weeks and reported it tested as GOOD by their testing dept. They are sending my "bad" card back to me. Ok great, now what? I just talked with the Warranty Testing dept customer service person who said this should help me debug my laptop now that I know my graphics board has tested good.

I think what the real truth is is they couldn't find a replacement 780M so they are just sending mine back with some story that it was tested as passing. The original card (660M) shouldn't have died in the first place. I'm done with Alienware and probably Dell.
    Watch out for Parts-People.com, a Dell replacement part dealer.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    If you are in the US you could always send me the card to test in one of my systems

M18x-oldie and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.