M18x R2 US International Keyboard

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Maxware79, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    About a year ago my toddler popped the TAB key off my keyboard. No idea where it went and it's really annoying looking at my old girl missing a part. It seems really hard to find replacement keyboards these days for this machine, at least the US layout one. Does anyone here have an old one laying around for a decent price (shipped to Australia)?
    Also, the macro key backlight doesn't work anymore so I'd love to get my hands on another one of these but they are even harder to find.

2. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As far as I know, the m17x r3/4 and m18 r1/2 all have the same keyboard, but I may be wrong.
    Regarding the macro backlight, did you check the seating of the ribbon cable? Had that one time when I had disassembled it and reseated it, then it worked again.

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
  4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah I've reseated the cable a few times. The green works for a bit but then shuts off after a while. No other colors will work

5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks but I'm really only after the US English keyboard. For some reason all the other country/language ones are readily available. There's a guy in the UK who sells individual keys so I may just have to fork out $10 for a single key.

6. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    I would have a genuine UK and a US keyboard of the m17x r4, both working just replaced them with German ones. I'm in Germany, so shipping down under may be quite expensive (+ customs on top, I think).

7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How much would the keyboard be? I can try to work out what the shipping may cost me. I'm thinking the $10 for a single key may be easier even though I hate the feeling of paying $10 for a single keyboard key!!

8. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    You could have the keyboard for 15€, checked shipping, is about 30€ DHL with insurance. That would be like 70 Aus. $$ I think (+ customs %??), assume that's too much for you?

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for having a look at that for me. I just got back from overseas and decided to go for the $10/single key route. It's not ideal but it keeps costs down as I'm now planning on selling the old girl and investing in a 1070 for my 17 project. It will be sad to see her go though. Maybe I can just sell my two 13's and the X51 instead.

10. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    No prob, had already assumed that being too much ;)