M18X (R2) Time for an Upgrade or Leave the Family all together?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by MariusM18X, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    right, SG is a doom though :( but can be tolerable still for the lack of a better..

2. Razorski

Razorski Newbie

Reputations:
    I am pissed that there is STILL NO DRIVERS for the Alienware m18x R2 on Windows 10, I have been checking the website once a week for the past 2 or 3 years, ever since Windows 10 was released...spent over $4000 USD on it and Microsoft Windows 7 Extended Support ends in Year 2020, plus the current drivers are old and are outdated as hell for Windows 7 anyways....I mean seriously Dell? This is what the customers receive after spending big money on your company? This will be the last time I will ever Purchase an Alienware machine....My Old Toshiba Satellite X205-S9359 received updated drivers from the Toshiba company for like a span of 10 years! And here is what bothers me the most...I purchased the Alienware m18x r2 in 2011 and only got 2 YEARS OF DRIVER UPDATES....THE LAST TIME DRIVERS WERE UPDATED WAS IN 2013-2014.........I MEAN WTF!!! My Advice, yea it's a bomb laptop, everything runs great on it...when it is supported. But, the Company DELL SUCKS!! They don't give a **** about the products they make and they sure as hell don't care about the Customers!!!! Mind as well build your own laptop or PC!!! Stay the Hell away from DELL!!!

3. Yaka

Yaka Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree my kids have been using mine to play some of my steam games till now. If we could easily upgrade gpus to current gens id still be using it for my main laptop. Clevo aint much diff i got my 870dm thinking i could upgrade but the 1080 cards put and end to that idea

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

Razorski likes this.
  4. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dude what are you doing that you burned up (10)!!!! M7970s??????!!!!!! Im still running my original (2), overclocked, and zero issues. For real. I havent even put on aftermarket paste in them. Revist how you run your machine bud befroe you invest in more stuff. Just a suggestion.

5. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I do run lots of graphics intense tasks, some professional applications as well as gaming with highest image quality settings including high levels of RGSSAA pushing the video cards pretty hard. The two original cards lasted the longest anyhow (they may have never been defective, but Dell decided to replace them as well as the display which was truly at fault), the replacements sadly didn't last very long. The ones my brother has now have been in there since February, the last month of my warranty. I noticed they have a different make of memory than the previous cards and I've repasted them myself with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of that default dung Dell puts on these days, so hopefully they will last longer for him, although I'll probably upgrade his system to a GTX 1060 or 1070 down the line anyway.

6. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell, along with most if not all other notebook (and hardware in general) manufacturers are currently sinking because without a middle class with expendable income, who can afford to purchase a new laptop every 3 years? So, their "logic" is that by abandoning support for older units AND making newer units un-upgradable (soldered CPU to the mobo etc) they are hoping to compel you to throw your perfectly fine hardware into the rubbish bin and do your patriotic duty and buy a new one every 3 years.

I'm not kidding nor exaggerating.

These are the same entities that comprise the .1% (Chamber of Commerce) that is behind the offshoring of jobs (NAFTA, and they are salivating at the prospect of TPP) environmental deregulation (that makes an economic model with throw away laptops ever 3 years "make sense") etc.

49:37 mark (I can't seem to post this video here at that point for some reason)

aaronne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.