M18X R2 Refurb with failed drive on SATA port 1 no matter what.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ligithin, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    I have also decided to write you an email about this issue with my dual vertex4 256GB SSD drives, I cant get them to run in RAID mode no way and yet sometimes I get OS SSD drive to switch to 3GBps and sometimes be at 6GBps ratio, even it sits in PORT0 as achi drive.... brief description of problem has been emailed, so Im also now waiting for an input

2. MonnieRock

MonnieRock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Juliant,
    Are you speaking about the cable that physically connects to the SSD's(data & power connector) then leads to the connector on the mainboard(one that so many break the retainer :rolleyes: )?

Luis,
    You were not kidding when you said "escalate". Received not one but two cables within 24hrs. Very impressive support. Only one problem, it's the msata cable, not the SATA cable for ports 0 &1.
    Attached image of cables sent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    God! Will have to re-send them. Sorry about the inconvenience MonnieRock. :cool:

4. MonnieRock

MonnieRock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got the new SATA Cable. Drives are now staying at 6gb/s. Did a before and after ATTO bench. See results for yourself :hi2:
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for all your help Luis. Alienware support ROCKS !!!!:D

5. UltraGSM

Reputations:

.... this is what I should have but cant even get damn drives always boot in to 6GB/s , I notice some lagging odd time when start machine, also OS startup feels like a suck'y old HDD and I notice after checking in IRST menu my OS drive @ 3GB/s , reboot usually solves this but if I try bench SSD with no matter what I can not get same results at second run or any other X time run untill I reboot machine again... it drops more than half less than sata2 speeds.... I need this cable ribbon asap too... I emailed to AW people to the email given with complete data provided etc etc no reply yet and week has passed...

6. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have got the exact same issue and I was searching for the resolution before I read up this.
    In the very beginning I doubt it could be a software problem because it sometimeS worked at SATA 2 and sometimes SATA 3. After this odd situation, I found that if you use the SSD on PORT 1, say, run a program or install a program or move something on this particular drive, the transfer speed will reduce to 3Gb/s instantly.
    Now, I think the issue is on the cable rather than other software problem. I will try to write to AWCC-Resolution_Experts@dell.com and look forward what will happen after that.

Thanks a lot for all who experienced this and share the exp here.

7. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    no help for me regarding this, no response over a month ago now, so I just ended up returning my second M18X R2 back to dell, I will be waiting for M18X R3 instead I guess... unless cheap M18X comes handy as a project I would reconsider but not like brand new retail unit thats giving me a headache, wonder how long will it take for R3 to come out :)

8. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hope you still can be happy with your new MSI system.

I just got the reply within 2 days. I wrote to them on Sunday and I got the phone call back on this morning. I live in Birmingham so it is not far away from Ireland I think.

Hope this can reslove the problem. Hope the problem not exsits on the motherboard.

9. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    Lucky you man, Ive been left in the darkness with that one... Yea MSI will keep me going till my next AW, thnx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.