[M18x R2] BIOS A10 Released

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Thatoe, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteknight_98012

whiteknight_98012 Newbie

Reputations:
    For the benefit of those viewing the thread who are concerned with the download issues and compatibility issues reported, I thought I would offer a counterpoint:

I recently joined the M18X R2 family, and have been freshening the system. I have updated system BIOS many times in the past on previous home computer iterations, and this was (by far) my easiest BIOS flash experience yet. Didn't even have to print out hardcopy instructions to follow. Download from Dell (no issue for me), launch the EXE, system rebooted, and VIOLA. Easy day. Compared to many, my system specs are a little plain, but perhaps that also smoothed the BIOS update experience.

Specs:
    Alienware M18x R2
    i7-3630QM | Nvidia 660M GTX | 16Gb 1600mhz | WD 500GB | Win7 Ultimate x64

2. Gerd Weller

Gerd Weller Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think i said this already: i am ever happy to read your Posts, because you want to give a serious help and your Posts don´t seemed to be biased and i will come back to your offer, when i´ve a bit more time.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Hey Gereld, I sort of in the same camp as you. I'm not sure if a vbios patching will see me any advantages though, maybe you could speak to that ...?
    I'm on a unlocked A03, I used one of the tech inferno files a while back. Things have been working great, once again I'm not too sure how a A10 unlocked Wil benefit me. Back when I flashed I did it because I wanted trim support in raid 0.
    Anyway it's good to see you on here always keen as mustard, able and willing and learning from the best.

4. izpirikitik

izpirikitik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any help would be much appreciated..

I am trying to flash my bios to Avenger MLK(M18R2) BIOS A10..

I have created a bootable usb from BatBoy and Katalin's walkthrough but I'm stuck on the active directory to the one with the BIOS update files (in DOS)..

How do I run/execute this file M18R2A10WIN.exe to flash the bios in dos?

5. izpirikitik

Reputations:
    hi all..

How do i flash to A10? the only way is in dos right? Im stuck in dos mode via bootable usb.. Cant.seem to run the file..

Any help or walkthrough will be much appreciated..

By the way.. Im still on A01; windows 7.

6. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i think both have their own specific bios

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That file is a Windows executable and will not run in DOS mode. The instructions posted by Dell are not accurate. When you launch the file in Windows (right-click and Run as Administrator) the program will load up the firmware and reboot into its own DOS mode and complete. That's the way I applied it.

8. izpirikitik

Reputations:
    This is what I get when running the file as administrator in windows:

A10_error.jpg

what am I doing wrong? system was fully recovered to its factory state..

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That error message is being caused by your vBIOS being too old to support A10 and Secure Boot. You will first need to flash a Secure Boot compatible 680M vBIOS. Or, you can edit the Platform INI file as described and hope the flash does not fail.

Unless you are planning to run Secure Boot under Windows 8 (which causes more harm than good for most users) there is nothing meaningful to be gained except for RAID0 SSD TRIM with the newer Intel RST OROM. That's a good reason to apply A10, but if you're not needing SSD RAID0 TRIM support, there's no benefit in going newer than A03.

There is also a remote chance your system will not boot Windows after flashing A10. After updating the vBIOS and flashing A10, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup and disable Secure Boot (change to Legacy mode).

Be absolutely sure you really want to do this. Once you flash A10 you may have great difficulty downflashing to an earlier BIOS. This requires a blind flash procedure and if you do it incorrectly your motherboard can be bricked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.