[M18x R2] BIOS A10 Released

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Thatoe, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobraPizza

CobraPizza Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am having trouble downloading it.. does anybody else have that problem?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, M18x R1 and M18x R2 BIOS are not interchangeable. Totally different motherboard chipsets.

3. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    YIKES ... almost crapped me self..

Downloaded and installed A10 on the R2. All went well.

I got frisky and decided to try again and get Intel WiDi working, I replaced the Killer wireless a while back with an n-6300 Ultimate and my new TV supports WiDi natively Sooooo why not. Did the fn-f7 .. woot it worked ... booted into intel HD400 video mode ... installed all the current drivers... and by gar boyoo I got it to work. So her I am WiDi working, able to extend the desktop etc (forces TV to 720p and the lag is significant) I think well now that was fun. fn-f7 again .. all seems well... time to reboot...

REBOOT .... black screen ... 8 loud beeps.. oh crap don't panic, just power down and try again ...
    REBOOT .... Black screen ... 8 loud beeps .... mommy .. are you out there ...... <sweat>
    REBOOT ... black screen ... 8 Beeps ... oh mannn time to step up ... be a man .. face the music.... OH CREP!

Review forums here ... on a desktop oh how I have lowered myself... <face in palms>

I give thanks for the Mr. Fox's, the Mr, Heihachi88's the Mr. steviejones133's.. and all the rest of you..

I figure out that I have to clear BIOS (Battery out, power cord out --- hold down FN+Power --- plug in) POW .. POP .. BANG ... we have life... holy smoke batman.

System comes back ... <sighs>

Thanks to this forum .. all seems well again... but be warned there is something flakey with the fn-f7 thing and trust me ... I AM ... NOT going to try a repeat test just
    to figure out what. I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

4. dragon23

dragon23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Need some help here guys. Dled and executed A10. Now my M18x R2 won't boot up!

I get the following message at startup:

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_

Background:
    I've got an M18x R2, i7, GTX 680, 16gb Kingston PnP 1866mhz.

Crucial 256gb mSata set up as boot drive running Windows 8
    Intel X-25 80gb and Scorpio Black 500gb installed in hard drive bay as additional storage/scratch drive.

Need to get this baby back online, I'm running out of time on a client's project. Any help greatly appreciated.

5. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Hey Dragon23,

I would recommend checking in the system BIOS the hard drive settings.
    Usually after a System BIOS update the hard drive settings in the bios may get changed.
    So you will need to change them back to what you had set before. Whether it be AHCI or Sata or RAID.
    Change the hard drive settings in the BIOS and you should be able to boot back into your OS again.

Cheers. :)

6. Gerd Weller

Gerd Weller Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably he installed Win 8 in UEFI-Mod, but after flashing the bios uefi is not dialed, or not his first boot-option.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hey dragon23, disable Secure Boot/Fast Boot options and it will likely work. There have been brand new Alienware systems (desktop and laptop) that would not boot out of the box because that was enabled and the system was not configured to use it correctly.

There are similar post here at NBR and the Dell Community forums. Here is a link from Alienware Engineers that talks about what may be your issue. (The screen shots are different, but conceptually, it's the same issue.)

Alienware Systems - Windows 8 not Booting up on Systems Out of the Box

Be sure to check out other helpful articles linked in this thread here at NBR: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/679548-alienware-engineering-troubleshooting-guides.html

You are still going to see the PXE boot option unless you change the boot order to put the hard drive/SSD in order ahead of PXE. This will not prevent your system from booting, but it will delay the process and show text on your screen as it attempts the PXE boot option. What reborn2003 said may also be applicable. The default configuration is RAID regardless of how your hard drives are set up. If you reinstalled Windows with the BIOS set to AHCI, it will not boot until you set it back to AHCI if that was the setting you used. This is a common mistake (using AHCI) that many users make when setting up their drives. Some assume that AHCI is somehow better or necessary if they are not using RAID, and that is not the case.

8. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's specific for the R2. To get the latest BIOS for the R1 go here and look for it by entering your service tag.

LINK

9. Gerd Weller

Gerd Weller Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, i decided to pay 5USD to techspot, that i´m able to download following files: The vBios Patcher (a special thx to Fox 4 ure Support, but i´ll unfortunality will have to send you a private message, because i´ve some Problems with the tool) and the unlocked BIOS-Files.

Unfortunality i´m not able to decide if i should Flash the bios. Which advantages will i have with the unlocked bios - are there more Options to edit the voltage, such as VCSSA, VTT and LLC (this would be a killer-Feature)? Then I have some Problems to understand the flashing procedure:

- I´ve to put the ppr.exe, fpt.exe (incl. all the other files of the ftp.zip) and the m18xr2.bin + the Flash.bat-file into a bootable usb-stick
    - boot from the stick
    - run ppr.exe to unlock
    - run the Flash.bat
    - reboot

are the steps so far as ok? but here i´ve a question: why do i need the fpt.exe, because i haven´t to accomplish it?

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That PRR tool is something new and I have not used it. Best to post the questions about that to svl7 in his thread for the unlocked BIOS if the instructions are not clear. I would not want to tell you the wrong thing and mess something up.

Feel free to give me a shout by PM with a question about vBIOS Patcher, as I am very familiar with how to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.