M18x R2 - BIOS A08 available

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Harlon21, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozgur Yenimazman

Ozgur Yenimazman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear TommydCat,

Please ask the dell techician some questions for me when you meet,

1. I had no problems with A03 unlocked had n bsods before A08, does that bios update can broke mt mobo

2. Is there any other method for blind flash, the one we already tried, does any other different files to do that

Please share your exprience after the repair, you can show him my long message if you or him has time,

Best Regards,

2. TommydCat

TommydCat Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The person that will show up to swap the motherboard will likely have no knowledge of what a blind flash is or what the different BIOS revisions do (esp. a 3rd party "unlocked" BIOS), but I will run your questions by him.

3. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is any other new funtion came with A08? Say, RAID TRIM?

Thanks in advance

4. LostMemoriCry

Reputations:
    Sure, sorry, I was a bit busy during these days. I am going to take a few photos and upload here.

Hope they can show you what you wanted.
    1.jpg
    A05 BIOS

2.jpg
    I just closed the Non-turbo xxxxxx. I can select BIOS or cTDP in the Xtreme Edition

3.jpg
    This is my timing table of HyperX 1600MHz OC to 2133. Stable in anytime.

If you need any more info, I will show you as possible as I can. My system came with this. I do not know Y. If this is not a completed version, I may need to aqcuire more knowledge for the real unlocked one.

Sorry for the above one. mis-clicking.

5. LostMemoriCry

Reputations:
    Sorry, I was a bit busy these days. Actually, I did it in prior to your request. That is not a flashable exe indeed. If you need, please give me a PM with your personal e-mail address. I will try to send you via e-mail. But, please do be careful, I cannot be responsible for any risk when you got any issue with my BIOS. Please think over before you make a decision if you want to use or not.

The photos I uploaded in the page 9. Just have a quick look, see if this can meet you requirement.

Thanks

Regards

6. rcsiccion

rcsiccion Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded my bios with no problem and i have the windows 8.

the problem that i have is that there are no more hdd recovery showing up on my recovery.
    i tried to factory rest out of the box but the alienrespawn do not show on recovery mode
    any one can help?

mine is m18x 7970 xfire

7. Oodle-Bear

Oodle-Bear Alienware Mug, Testpilot

Reputations:
    I updated my M18X R2 from A05 to A08 and it runs like nothing has changed except it's a locked BIOS, which means I can't get above 4.3Ghz before BSOD as I can't change the relevant items for faster A La' "Sister Annie"

OB

8. Oodle-Bear

Reputations:
    That's what mine looks like on A08.

Just out of curiosity what does your system run like with those settings? I tried to use XTU and can't get above 4.4Ghz before BSOD...

OB

9. LostMemoriCry

Reputations:
    I am not sure if your A08 had been unlocked. In my personal assumption, I may set 90w and 99w as max TDP for short and long term. In terms of the normal bios, it only can give you max 70w around power.

Actually, your words had been confirmed on the previous version of Intel XM cpu, say, my 2960XM or 3920XM. Sometimes, the OC functions cannot be normalised as a same level, even if they were in one batch. If someone has a 3940XM, it could perform a bit better than mine, vice-versa. In total, it depends.......

Mine can OC to 4.8 as max in UK in room temp. without any other cooling method applied. (Just the original fan, that is it) I bought the ICD7*2 for about two weeks, but I have no time to install it yet. I may try this in this weekend. I assume, if I can install this successfully, 5.0 stable OC will not be a dream.

The diy environment in UK is just rubbish, I cannot easily buy a SF 19 cooling pad for my 18 as well as a lot of accessories, say high quality screen protector and so on.

BTW, my Hyperx is grey one, I do not know Y it can be OCed as well as Blue........... I just tried and it worked. All function I checked in intel XTU, and the system performs well all the time with this setting. Only the rubbish NV drives made me crazy. Always BS with 306.xx. Yesterday, I tried dell one, but I am not sure if it will BS as usual. If I do not have extra time to play the game, I will only power on other two PC instead of M18x R2 which is a good heater in the cold winter in UK.

Regards.

10. Oodle-Bear

Reputations:
    I think it's power issues with my system , I'm not sure what settings will work. I'll try the setting you have and see how she performs. What sort of temperatures are you getting running at 4.7Ghz?

OB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.