M18x R2 - BIOS A08 available

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Harlon21, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quontum

Quontum Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hmm, now I'm more wary about upgrading after the post above. Does the A08 BIOS improve anything?

2. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine came with an Unlocked A05............ I do not know why and if I entered the service tag on dirver and download page on Dell, it does not recommond me to download A08, the BIOS option had been filterred at all based on my service tag.

When I open the XTU, it always suggests me to reduce both long and short TDP. I set 90 sometime 95 on long and 99 on short, However, I can see the recommondation values will be 55 and 68 or this which is a bit lower than 2nd generation XM.

I think I am not the only one got the unlocked bios from dell directly. Someone who did not purchase XM version CPU still got an unlocked bios as well. Dell' Manufacture is always careless, this is a fact known by the lives even come from Mars.

In total, this looks really interesting. Could my system be a ES system? But the test software keeps telling me that I got a normal 3940XM instead of an ES version as well as the HDD was only powered on 6 hours. Typically, less than 20 hours is acceptable. Of course, the less the better.

3. Ozgur Yenimazman

Ozgur Yenimazman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear Sirs,

Does this A08 bios improves performance on any piece of chip on the computer,
    Is there an official list that tells, the improvements or the issues solved from the previous versions?

Also I have 2 questions,

1. Is there unlocked version released yet? any links?

2. I have an issue overclocking my 7970m cf with msi afterburner 2.2.1, I unlocked the cfg file as usual, display starts to blink after I overclock it and finally, situation goes to BSOD, any things to do on that?

Best Regards,

4. BrickTop

BrickTop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The update is only for providing Windows 8 compatibility with UEFI Secure Boot, however, it's broken at the moment so there's no real need to upgrade. There's no official changelog unfortunately.

If you do want an unlocked version you have to go to TechInferno forums. You'll need to make 5 quality posts or pay $5 to get download access to their forums.

Can't help you with the 7970 issue.

5. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    could you take some pictures to show that your bios is completely unlocked..

6. svl7

svl7 T|I

Reputations:
    Can you do me a favor and send me a dump of your BIOS? This tool will do the job, even though the backup won't necessarily be a flashable image, but it would be enough. Would be really appreciated!

7. m3t4L_m4n

m3t4L_m4n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alien Autopsy prompted me to download new version of bios yesterday, so I downloaded it, installed w/o problem, my computer restarted itself, installed some Windows update or something and booted normally.. But I didn't try to switch graphics card. Right now I'm on dedicated graphics. How can I enable secure booting? I don't feel any improvement in boot time..

8. taintedbloop

taintedbloop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me how to revert to an earlier version of the BIOS safely? I called Alienware support and they were quite unhelpful - saying I should probably do a Windows restore, etc.. and if I reverted my BIOS and I had any problem they wont cover it under my warranty (which really pissed me off). I cant properly restart my computer - if I press restart, the loading bar hangs at 100% before I even get into windows - its the screen with the alien head on it. However whats really weird is that I do a cold boot (shut down then restart) it boots just fine.

I upgraded from A01 to A08 I believe. Can I easily downgrade to a different version? It doesnt look like A01 is available on Dell's website but A03 is.. Is it safe and easy to downgrade?

Also - seperate question - my CPU was supposed to be the more expensive, overclocked version from the factory when I got it (I believe up to 4.2Ghz). Will getting the new BIOS reset these settings or is it just inherent in the CPU?

9. BlueNasser

BlueNasser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    new Bios reset default settings. I think the problem you have is from RAID. Did you have Ahci or Sata before upgrading BIOS, if so try changing it in BIOS from RAID (default setting in BIOS) to Ahci or Sata, whatever you had.

10. taintedbloop

taintedbloop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I have RAID. I looked at all the BIOS settings and they seem to be correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.