m18x r1 vs r2 internals

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by orijin, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orijin

orijin Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just a question are the internals of the r1 and r2 size wise pretty much the same? Can you stick a r2 mobo into a r1 m18x?

And if not what is the difference between them two besides the processor and graphic cards.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Wow, great question. I'd like to know that as well.

3. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am thinking its completely possible to fit the R2 board in a R1 as there is a photo somewhere on these forums comparing the inards of a R1 & R2
    The IO board on the right would also need replacing with a R2 version as the connection to R2 motherboard is slightly different.
    and the bottom frame where the msata drive goes into R2 MB would need plastic bar removed.
    I think its completely possible and am willing to try if i can find a R2 Motherboard

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Same here, willing to try out of curiosity :)

5. orijin

orijin Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    curious about the msata drive, is that the 3rd hdd for the m18x r2?

did something similiar with a m11x r2 system and stuck a r3 mobo in there, required replacing the daughter board also.

6. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, the mSATA is a different slot (you can call it 4th hdd). It is located very close to the CPU fan. You can google for the R2 manual and you will be able to see the pictures of exact components and location. It could be possible that the R2 board will fit in an R1 case. The mSATA slot is separately connecting to the motherboard through a cable. The location of the socket (where you connect the cable) is near the cmos battery plug.

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I imagine from a production/cost point of view, Dell wouldn't have made any changes to the chassis of the R1 to create the R2. It's more cost effective to keep exactly the same chassis and have the R2 worked around that instead of redesigning the whole thing. Could be completely wrong though, just don't think they would have spent the $$$ if they could avoid it.

8. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is extra space for msata driver in R2 chassis, which isn't there in R1. I haven't noticed any other differences R2 vs R1 chassis.

9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is that space that can be "made" in the R1? - say, by using a bit of D.I.Y with some cutting away ?

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure you can, Steve. Looking at photos, you would simply need to cut away part of the material around the opening for the mSATA card. There is already an opening there, just not large enough. The chassis design around that opening looks exactly the same, just some material missing with the R2 chassis. If not using mSATA, I don't think doing that would be necessary. (I doubt that I would use it, since it is only SATA 2.0.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.