M18x R1 Tear Down Video: Ivy Bridge CPU Heatsink and 7970M CrossFire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    WOW, that was quick - even I'm surprised at how quick you got it! - thanks, and I'm chuffed you are pleased with everything!

Please leave any feedback regarding the sale over on my NBR feedback thread located here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/mar...k/733852-steviejones133s-feedback-thread.html

reborn2003 and turilo like this.
  2. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    but why mod the inf when you instal the mobile nvidia drivers?

reborn2003 likes this.
  3. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Unfortunately they don't detect the newer Nvidia GPU's automatically. So you can't install any of the new Nvidia drivers plug and play if you will. You need to mod the INF file and add in the hardware ID's so that the new driver can detect and then you can install the new GPU drivers.

No real biggy really. There are plenty of experts on here that can help or normally release the modded INFs for the community. :thumbsup:

Cheers. :)

4. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the hardware id's of what, the gpu's? if so then even on the m18x R2 these cards should not instal unless you mod the inf and add the Id. otherwise what other hardware Id is it really and why would nvidia not include it for so long?

it sounds like you are trying to instal the desktop drivers on the laptop.

reborn2003 likes this.
  5. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Your right champ! The M18x R1 and R2 both need modded INF's to have the Nvidia drivers to install. Only the Dell Nvidia GTX 680Ms are plug and play with driver installation on the M18x R2 notebook. Other upgrades such as the 680Ms and 780Ms on the R1 require modded INFs to install. Also the same for the 780M on the R2.
    Nvidia won't be adding the hardware ID's ever. :p

Trying to install the desktop drivers, now that would be very silly of me! :thumbsup:

Cheers. :)

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    One of the downsides of the nvidia driver system unfortunately. Also under windows 8 you have to disable driver signing enforcement.

reborn2003 likes this.
  7. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i assumed the inf only carried the hardware Id of the gpu's. from what you are saying the inf also carries the hardware Id of the laptop's motherboard so that is why the blame is on nvidia.

if you can tell me exactly what needs to go in a modded inf file and what needs to be taken out or checked for i can write tiny executable that does it automatically instead of having to do it manually each and every time.

reborn2003 and turilo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.