M18x R1 Tear Down Video: Ivy Bridge CPU Heatsink and 7970M CrossFire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turilo

turilo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That was an awesome video my friend! you still have them older video cards by chance and want to sell? lol im currently on a single GPU the Nvidia 675m GTX, was curious what results id see on having a dual GPU set in this baby. I also have a 3720QM unlocked CPU i want to throw in this compared to the stock 3610qm, im sure ill see some benefits hopefully

reborn2003 and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the compliment. I don't have the 7970M cards any more. I don't recommend them for a number of reasons, but that would certainly be a great deal more horsepower than a single 675M. I would recommend adding another 675M for SLI rather than going to 7970M CF. That would be comparatively inexpensive and a more reliable product, although not quite as powerful as dual 7970M. Better yet (if your wallet can afford it) would be an upgrade to 680M or 780M SLI.

reborn2003 and turilo like this.
  3. turilo

turilo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm 780m sli would be a killer upgrade but definitely the wallet wouldn't like that one lol Maybe ill look for a second 675m GTX for now to SLI her up for now and maybe see how that goes. Also want to look into getting one of them 3 pipe CPU heat sink, where you recommend parts like this, Ebay perhaps?

reborn2003 and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    675m SLI would be a nice upgrade for you and would be fairly cheap. 680m SLI would, in my opinion, be the very best 'bang for buck' right now....

As for a triple pipe cpu heatsink, I have one available if you are interested. You can either PM me or take a look at my 'For Sale' thread here (gpu's have gone, unfortunately):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/com...i-bridge-oem-extreme-edition-triple-pipe.html

reborn2003 and turilo like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Get the 3-pipe heat sink from Brother Steve. After his is gone, anyone that wants one should first try to order one directly from Dell/Alienware rather than eBay.

reborn2003, turilo and steviejones133 like this.
  6. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Triple pipe CPU heatsink bought and paid for by turilo - reference: http://forum.notebookreview.com/com...bridge-oem-extreme-edition-triple-pipe-3.html Post #31.

Thanks mate - it'll be on it's way to you tomorrow. :thumbsup:

reborn2003, turilo and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. turilo

turilo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll be looking forward to putting that baby in this beast! Thanks again for the sale! and to Mr. Fox for the advice and great teardown tutorial :thumbsup:

8. turilo

turilo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @steviejones133 Triple pipe CPU heat-sink received today! Great packaging job m8! and speedy delivery! thank you sir :thumbsup: Oh and my IC Diamond Thermal paste came at the same time i ordered! couldn't have worked out better hahaha

9. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is it still required to modify the drivers if you go with the 680m or 780m on the m18x R1? i know the 7970's are plug and play and i lean towards that setup but with having experienced the 6990's on this machine, i really hate amd driver support.

reborn2003 likes this.
  10. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Yup you will always have to mod the INF for newer Nvidia GPU driver installs on the Alienware M18x R1. This applies to both the GTX680M and 780M GPUs. I am currently running dual 780M GPUs in my M18x R1 rig! :thumbsup:

Also you are right if we download the mobility AMD GPU drivers we never had to mod anything to get them to install.

Cheers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.