M18x R1 Tear Down Video: Ivy Bridge CPU Heatsink and 7970M CrossFire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, what you saw me cleaning off was old thermal paste. And, you are correct... I did not apply thermal paste because I used the factory TIM that was pre-applied to the heat sinks by Dell instead of paste.

2. BaboonBP

BaboonBP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for the thread resurrection, but has anyone priced the 3PVGK Heat Sink Support Plate lately? The quote I received from dell parts for it was 400+ each, that doesn't even include the cards. Is that normal, I couldn't imagine a support plate costing 100 less than the graphic cards themselves.

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That doesn't sound quite right. Maybe they are pricing you for a card, not sure. If it is only the support plate that you need, why not try Ebay. I just found this lisiting for the support plate on its own:

Alienware DELL Precision AMD Video Card GPU Heat Sink Spreader AMD 6990M 7970M | eBay

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I ran into a similar goof up in the Dell pricing system for the NVIDIA support plate a couple of months ago. I wanted to order the special support plate designed for 580M that has heat spreaders for both memory banks and use that with my 680M SLI. I was quoted over $300 for that little bugger. There is no way on earth that is price is correct, but when it gets messed up in their system it seems that nobody knows how to straighten things out. Just order new heat sinks instead and you should be in good shape. The heat sinks are inexpensive and they normally include a support plate anyway.

5. bperkins87

bperkins87 Newbie

Reputations:
    So Mr. Fox Im not sure exactly how to like contact you in a message. But hopefully you will see this post. Since you have successfully upgraded your r1 motherboard to an r2 motherboard. I also have an r1 system. It ran great till a month ago. After much tinkering I have found that by taking both my 6970m Radeon Graphic cards out,and running on integrated graphics I am able to use my laptop again with out getting the 8 beep codes. However I am able to use run with one graphic card at a time. But when ever I do anything that requires more use of the graphics card, my system shuts down, and does the 8 beep codes everytime i boot up, until i open everything back up, and take the card out and so on. Also when my computer is on, and even when booting up the battery is not detected, and i get the plugged in but not charging notification. So im lead to believe that my system is not getting enough power. I believe it may be a motherboard issue with that. So, heres what i am planning on doing. I can either buy a new r1 board from dell for like $450. or depending on what all it would take i am considering buying the r2 board and installing that. But if i go with the r2 route i would need more information on what all i would need to get for that to make it happen. And if you could provide me any help with where to obtain the r2 board and other pats for it, it would help out greatly. After watching your youtube videos, i definitely want to upgrade my graphic cards after i fix my motherboard. So any help you can give me would be awesome.

6. BaboonBP

BaboonBP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll try that in a few weeks; I spent my spare cash for toys on Star Citizen this last weekend, so I'll have to wait till next paycheck. Thanks for the input regarding the plate.

7. ped

ped Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all,

It's been awhile since a second ressurection but still sitting with a R2 that has 7970m's and wondering which drivers are people using? Is it still the 12.7 or 12.9 betas, or are we finding stable and performing drivers in the 13.x range.

Responses or links to other threads... always appreciated. I have been searching for awhile, but this seems the only suitable thread to post in based on the topic.

Cheerio!

8. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Wow you've been living under a rock in AMD land :D
    Do yourself a favour and install 13.8 beta or above. I think 13.10 just came out today so give them a try. There is a whole sticky thread devoted to AMD drivers in the AW18 section of the forum. You can't miss it.

9. ped

ped Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah, I think I found it.
    This one? http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...rformance-problems-discussion-thread-175.html
    Thanks! I recently reimaged my machine, and realized I didn't know what version I had running which was stable. Then searching found a whole bunch of 12.x discussions until I stumbled here / there.

Yes, my rock has been nice and cozy. :)

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yep that's the one buddy. Let us know how you go with them. Ill be installing 13.10 beta tonight when I get home from work. 13.8 and beyond are gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.