M18x R1/R2 - Creative Use for the Empty Mini-PCI Slot (WIHD socket on systems without WIHD)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    All interesting stuff. I'd be satisfied with nothing but an mSATA bracket to attach to the end of my cable, LOL. It's amazing that Dell cannot identify a part number and no service part seems to be available. Beyond that, I am not sure I am looking to add much more to my system in the way of power-sapping devices. Adding two more drives might mean less benching due to increased power distribution, and I'm not willing to sacrifice the benching fun at this point.

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    at idle, non OS drives should be fine. im looking foward to WD's new SSHD black and seagate's new SSHD but have a feeling WD will destroy seagate in the 2.5" HDD realm.

I am also desperate about the msata. I convinced myself once I got the R2 from Aiki I'd be satisfied with it without msata.. was totally wrong LOL. I already managed to put in a long 3 inch wireless dongle into my machine without having to cut the chassis, now wireless headset works with R2 and dont have to worry about no audio lol. with msata I will be 90% complete =D

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I not convinced that that it will be fine. It would be fine running stock, but with CPU and GPUs heavily overclocked, I already have to turn off AlienFX, dim the display all the way down, disconnect USB devices, etc. to avoid running out of power with only 330W available. So, adding more power draw at this point is not an attractive option. I want the mSATA as an option that would allow me to put the BD burner back inside of the chassis without losing drive count. I could use the mSATA to boot W8 and put the 1TB HDD in place of the 128GB M4 I am using for W8 right now.

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    so maybe theres difference between 680m and 6990m and 3940xm and 2960xm. power draw of these prob differs quite a bit when overclocked. I overclock CPU but rarely GPU, by 100mhz at most though, however I have all my backlit on with usb devices plugged in. besides the sata port and usb port can only provide so much power since its designed that way it will never pull more power so in the worst case SSD/HDD will just have poorer performance.

do you get bluescreen if you dont turn off the backlit keyboard?

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No BSOD. If you draw more power than the AC adapter can provide, the end result is generally like unplugging an appliance from a wall outlet. It turns off abruptly and trips the circuit breaker inside of the AC adapter. If the power draw is "adaptive" (meaning that it fluctuates based on load) you will see anomalies like the display getting dim and bright and a drop in performance before it turns off. This in controllable, and I am able to work around it. And, it only needs to be worked around for heavily overclocked operations. What my concern is has to do with adding more devices and having to distribute the finite power resources among more devices. This should not be a problem for anyone that is running stock or only mild to moderate overclocking with stock GPU voltage.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ah that sucks, AW needs at least a 350W powerbrick now.. im wondering if we could get clevo's 2x powerbrick + converter to work with AW. from my experience most of the brick where it connects to a laptop is generalized but not entirely sure, could be only for all dell machines as I own 3.

I tried plugging in my 15 inch brick into my AW it boots but tells me I might need more power lol, i havent tried HP/Asus brick into AW though.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The AC adapter has a chip that the motherboard needs to recognize for it to work. There are mods posted on the web for the M17x R2, but nothing tested for the M18x yet.

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i dont think mini pcie in R1/R2 is bootable but will try when my 7 pin sata to mini pcie gets here, and 7p sata cable.

@mr Fox, would lower VID helps with power? i mean do we really need 80+ VID to overclock stable at 4.7/4.8ghz? that way you dont have to turn off AlienFX or give you more room to overclock. or maybe lower tiny bit of voltage on ram cause those are power hunger, but return poorer results.

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    mr fox, they ship out your bracket yetÉ

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, they sure did. I would not be surprised if it is delivered on Monday. The mSATA SSD is also due for delivery on Monday.

Here is what I posted in the other thread...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.